how long will my stock tranny last with eng upgrades

brandonmc07

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a 38r, 238/80's, reg return, with gearhead tunes. my truck on has 75k on it. Will my tranny last a while as long as i drive it good after i get all of this power. I'm eventully going to a bts in the future

4tonGT40

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a 38r, 238/80's, reg return, with gearhead tunes. my truck on has 75k on it. Will my tranny last a while as long as i drive it good after i get all of this power. I'm eventully going to a bts in the future
Dont pound on her from light to light and you will be ok....

davey99ps

Reaction score
I blew my planetary apart before I even had all the air worked out of the system after swapping injectors. I would think you'll be ok for awhile as long as your not running the he!! out of it.

David N

Reaction score
Yep. I had that setup for 6 months on a 200K mile stock tranny and it held. Granted the converter would harldly stay locked when I finally made it to Twisted Diesel to put a Stage II in it, but I could have driven for a lot longer. It just wasn't any fun. And I beat my truck EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Wicked

Reaction score
Mine holds and locks great still. 133 k on it and 8k at over 400 HP... I don't launch or do burnouts and let out when its ready to shift when roasting ricers.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I would add a Sonnax/Tricumulator shift kit at the very least. At around $50 bucks, it's a good piece of mind to possibly help your trans live a little longer.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
If I were a gambler I'd say a few weeks....having the power and not using it is very hard to do...if you deside on a BTS ..let me know..

Daryl@TDP

Reaction score

Being as you are in VA I'd check out Twisted Diesel for a transmission. Rave builds a awesome 4r100, I love mine. They are located in Chesapeake.

brandonmc07

Reaction score
ya i've heard of twisted but you're the first one i've found with one actually. how long have you had it?

skew12

Reaction score
I hear a lot of good things about Twisted's trannys. They'll be doing mine when the time comes.

Wicked

Reaction score
One thing you should think about is contacting BTS and seeing what he recommends. For me he let my buy the tq converter, pump mods, and valve body. So far it has been holding but I am not really beating on it that much. He told me that when my trans goes that because I bought the 1,200 converter I would not need to buy it when I buy the full BTS trans... so basically it was a 1,200 down payment on the BTS for when mine eventually blows to pieces. I think this is a pretty cool deal. I would call him and see if he would/still does something like this.

Daryl@TDP

Reaction score
ya i've heard of twisted but you're the first one i've found with one actually. how long have you had it?

3 years has not missed a beat. You definitely won't be disappointed. In the VA area there are tons running around with them. Quite a few on here including Brian Jelich's.

OSCS

Reaction score
I was also curious about this also. I'm about done installing an s366 and 250/100's in my rig and was wondering how long she would hold 500hp.. I was thinking about having DI install a shift kit and possibly a converter and valve body while I was having the new tunes installed.

Another question that I've seen asked alot but I haven't got a clear awnser to is, is it smart to throw in a torque converter/shift kit and valve body and cross your fingers? When the tranny goes is it going to destroy the torque converter as well? Don't want to spend money on a converter and then have the tranny chew it apart when something else breaks.

Wicked

Reaction score
I was also curious about this also. I'm about done installing an s366 and 250/100's in my rig and was wondering how long she would hold 500hp.. I was thinking about having DI install a shift kit and possibly a converter and valve body while I was having the new tunes installed.

Another question that I've seen asked alot but I haven't got a clear awnser to is, is it smart to throw in a torque converter/shift kit and valve body and cross your fingers? When the tranny goes is it going to destroy the torque converter as well? Don't want to spend money on a converter and then have the tranny chew it apart when something else breaks.

Read my previous post.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.