How much louder are single shots?

liquidlounge

Reaction score
First post. I keep reading about single shot injectors being the cat's pajamas. So I'm thinking maybe converting to a std H2E and AC single-shots. I use the truck on 4+ hour long tow trips and the possibility of any extra annoying noise might be a deal breaker for me. I've never ridden in a truck with singles, so what should I expect? (I know, I know; if I want a quiet truck, then get a gasser) Thanks in advance, Dave

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
it's noticeable but it's not bad. It's mainly on acceleration that you hear a difference. I can still have a conversation in the truck at normal-quiet talking level. if you want to help sound deaden it a bit more put 2 layers of bed liner (linex, herculiner, rhinolining) on your valve covers to help.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
If you do a RR it'll quiet them down a bit.

Honestly, above idle I couldn't really tell a difference.

It was most noticeable during cold starts.

CurtisF

Reaction score
I can't tell any difference above idle. Heck, I can pull back the timing and make the truck run far quieter than a stocker.

Idle is the only real time you should be able to tell any difference in sound between singles and splits.

Now if the tuning isn't correct, then yes you'll hear it. But it's not the injectors, it's just a function of incorrect pulsewidth, timing, and or ICP.

TARM

Reaction score
Once you are on it there really is not much of a dif. I think the dif follows the way the PW and pilot fire off. As rpms climb they are more the same in sound. Idle is where the dif is IMO and it is noticeable. But for a diehard diesel guy its sweet music.:pimp:

SDstroker

Reaction score
Mine are damn near stock sounding. I need to get audio of my truck and my dads side by side.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Really depends on tuning. My hybrids can idle clean and be quieter than stock AD's. It was really obvious when I had both trucks running side by side on a cold start. I have had many people ask why mine was so much quieter than their stock trucks, get that tuning dialed in and there is no reason they have to be louder.

sniper_101

Reaction score
My experience - slightly louder than stock at idle and under 1400rpm, but once you're in the boost with any more than 3-5lbs, they quiet down like the stock injectors do. No significant difference in sound.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
thanks for the replys. Would the std. H2E set-up be about right with the std. nozzle AC's?

Honestly, if all you're looking for is the extra towing power from a set of AC's, I'd drop a 38R or a Van turbo in there.

DocBar

Reaction score
Good tuning is the answer on single shots. As far as injectors go, go bigger than you think you want right now. After the new wears off, you'll be wanting to add some HP and good tuners can tune just about any size injector to match the rest of your set up. I'm saving up for bigger sticks right now and have had mine for just over a year. Maybe we could make a deal? :)

Oh yeah, with Matt's tunes, I can barely hear mine when I'm running down the road. Of course, the 38R just might have something to do with that.:shrug:

Last edited:

liquidlounge

Reaction score
I know everyone is wild about the 38r, but I just don't want that sound the way I use the truck. I know its good bang for the buck, but I don't mind spending some extra for somthing like the H2e IF thats a good turbo to use. I think I read on Hypermax's site that it was for appx 350hp and thats about where the AC's will put me, correct?

mattman347

Reaction score
S366 if your wanting to get the flow but not the sound, and if you are wanting to get a great turbo but don't want the cost of the H2E.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.