How much to pay for 06 6.0?

bigl110

Reaction score
I got a line on a 06 lariat crew cab with the fx4 package . The truck has 99000 miles it's bone stock but comes with a tuner he never used since he didn't do any ******s , it's on its second owner and the current owner bought it from a elderly couple. He is selling it because he is moving he is asking upwards of $22,000 but I've seen 6.4s go for that around my area not all the time but most. Just wanted to get ahead a up on what is a good price. My max is $19000 but I would like to go lower so I can do some ******s. What should I look for besides getting a car fax and oasis report? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I would recommend getting a Edge CTs or similar from a friend to hook up to it to check coolant/ oil deltas, Ficm voltage, and alternator output. Check all the fluids. And regular vehicle inspection stuff

sootie

Reaction score
Seems like a good place to ask, what are coolant/oil delta's?

the difference between the oil temp and coolant temp. For instance, if your oil temp is 230 and your coolant temp is 194, your delta is 36. In that case, it would be out of spec and you would require an oil cooler replacement.

Farmguygh45

Reaction score
I just bought that exact truck in Central NY last weekend from a Ford dealer, super clean, looks brand new, but totally stock except a dual exhaust. They asked $21995, but I talked them into an extra $1500 on my trade in. Total price came to $17495.

bluedge8

Reaction score
the difference between the oil temp and coolant temp. For instance, if your oil temp is 230 and your coolant temp is 194, your delta is 36. In that case, it would be out of spec and you would require an oil cooler replacement.

Thanks, I figured it was something like that

JMart

Reaction score
Depends on where you are at. When I totalled my 6.0 in Oct the insurance company tried to pull comps to get a price on what my truck was worth. They gave my $22k for it. 05 XLT FX4 111k miles on it. I bought the truck two years before with 89k miles for $18k. I don't know it they took into account the $5k worth of receipts I had for work that was done in the previous 6 months before the wreck. Most people say insurance doesn't do that. I didn't ask wither when they offered me that much.

Don't compare 6.0 to 6.4's. 6.0 is a better engine. It has its issues but it easier and cheaper to fix.

JMart

Reaction score
Seems like a good place to ask, what are coolant/oil delta's?

Its a math term. they use the Greek letter "delta" which looks like a triangle to imply the difference between to things. For example a lot of calculations in thermodynamics require the term "delta T" which is the difference between Temp1 and Temp2.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Do people log deltas, or just watch them while driving? I assume they don't log them, so is there a way to know where the deltas are on used truck you are looking at?

stratten.swanner

Reaction score
You'd have to hook up a monitor to the obd2 to figure out the deltas. See if a buddy has an edge that you could use for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMart

Reaction score
Do people log deltas, or just watch them while driving? I assume they don't log them, so is there a way to know where the deltas are on used truck you are looking at?

You just watch the EOT and ECT and do the math. You would have to hook up something that can read those and watch them while on a test drive.

bluedge8

Reaction score
So you can't really tell what the deltas are on a used truck you are looking at to buy without bringing a monitor with and getting it completely up to temp, correct?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea. Somebody said that in the second or third post. Just to clarify.

If the oil cooler isnt doing its job, you get huge disparity in the temperatures.

As JMart said the 6l is a great engine. It just took time for the methods with which to repair them to catch up. The common 6l issues addressed they are 500k mile motors. That doesnt preclude you from injector issues.

bigl110

Reaction score
Well I have a 2007 6.0 with 93000 miles in my driveway now that I'm test driving. Pretty clean truck but the asking price from the dealer is 22,350. I told them I will not be anywhere close to that. I took it to a ford master mechanic in town for inspection and he said it's a solid truck but I got him to write up estimates for work that should be done. Rite at 2000 for body mount bushings, steering gear box , new shocks, serp belt. I'm gonna offer 15k on it in the am. It was a fleet truck but was painted with a few imperfect spots. Hope I can get it!

Reaction score
I'd have him check to make sure that it's had the e g r D e l e t e, oil cooler, head studs, coolant filtration, oil cooler, and such done for that kind of money. And I'm hoping that it's a 4x4 as well, only namely for the resale value. Also, Ford spec on the oil temp/ coolant temp delta is 15 degrees max. So if the coolant temp is 195, the max oil temp should be 210. Any higher than that and you're more than likely facing a clogged oil cooler issue. Not that it's highly expensive, but a good stud/ e g r D e l e t e job is around $4,500 and that's just the basics being covered. Add in a cam and lifters and you're looking at another $2-3k in parts and labor if it's wiped out and that's on the low side.

Last edited:

bigl110

Reaction score
It's bone stock bro and my guy will bulletproof for 6500$. If I buy I will purchase fords used esp warranty which i already lined up at my local ford dealer that covers everything until I'm ready for the mods. Anyone doing oasis reports? Can I get my local dealer to get it for me? The dealer selling the truck is a dodge dealer so I know they can't get it

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
It's bone stock bro and my guy will bulletproof for 6500$. If I buy I will purchase fords used esp warranty which i already lined up at my local ford dealer that covers everything until I'm ready for the mods. Anyone doing oasis reports? Can I get my local dealer to get it for me? The dealer selling the truck is a dodge dealer so I know they can't get it

where are you located?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.