How To: Install a Tuner (Video)

00f3fiddy

Reaction score
Get you a long extension and a 10mm swivel for the pcm connector. Saves alot of time and you dont have to climb over in there! I also like to cut a big enough hole in the plastic so I can remove the chip without pulling the pcm for when you want to send it off for updates. Just my 2 cents.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
Get you a long extension and a 10mm swivel for the pcm connector. Saves alot of time and you dont have to climb over in there! I also like to cut a big enough hole in the plastic so I can remove the chip without pulling the pcm for when you want to send it off for updates. Just my 2 cents.

Dont know if that would work on mine.. I have a bunch of electrical crap in the way. relays and wiring harnesses and what not.

Denver

Reaction score
Would disconnecting the batteries during a chip install be the best way to prevent any electrical damage to the PCM? or is leaving the keys out of the ignition good enough?

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
Would disconnecting the batteries during a chip install be the best way to prevent any electrical damage to the PCM? or is leaving the keys out of the ignition good enough?

Leaving the keys out is to prevent you from accidentally engaging the PCM while it is being worked on. Disconnecting the batteries wont hurt anything either and is always a good idea when doing electrical work.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
One thing, I always throw a piece of duct tape over the chip to make 100% sure it CANNOT come loose. It has happened.

I like the idea of cutting the hole big enough to remove it without taking the PCM out. And realistically you should focus in more to show what a clean terminal is because: If you dont clean it properly the lacquer thats on there gets stuck in the chip so not only do you have to take everything back apart because the truck wont start etc you now have to clean the chip out very carefully and its a PITA. However you can clean it too much and now you either get it re-plated or throw your PCM in the trash and get a new one.

ToMang07

Reaction score
One thing, I always throw a piece of duct tape over the chip to make 100% sure it CANNOT come loose. It has happened.

I like the idea of cutting the hole big enough to remove it without taking the PCM out. And realistically you should focus in more to show what a clean terminal is because: If you dont clean it properly the lacquer thats on there gets stuck in the chip so not only do you have to take everything back apart because the truck wont start etc you now have to clean the chip out very carefully and its a PITA. However you can clean it too much and now you either get it re-plated or throw your PCM in the trash and get a new one.

Yeah, I was one of the ones that had that issue. I kept getting random electrical issues, idiot lights, stutters, stalls, and no starts. After chasing my tail for over a month.... I removed the black box and reinstalled....

*knocks on wood*

No issues since. :toast:

0fe97890.png

dirtboy25

Reaction score
+1 on the duct tape. I try to close it up as good as I can with tape so that no dust can get in and the chip will never fall out while driving.

Latest posts

Members online