how to make fog lights come on with parking light???s

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
You can mechanically mod the switch so that it can be pulled out when in the running lamp position.

If you removed the switch plate from the switch, you will see the "ramp" that can be removed to allow the switch to be pulled out. Then just tap the Brown wire(parking lights) with the wires for the fog light relay I will have to look up the color though I can't remember right now.

hayden

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Nothing against the toggle switch but is it possible to do it without using a external switch? I removed the bridge in my stock switch already so i am able to pull it out in any position just curious to see if i could do it without adding another switch. Thanks again

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Nothing against the toggle switch but is it possible to do it without using a external switch? I removed the bridge in my stock switch already so i am able to pull it out in any position just curious to see if i could do it without adding another switch. Thanks again

Do you want your fogs on anytime the running lights, low beams, and high beams are on? If you are okay with having the fogs on anytime the knob is turned than just run a wire from the yellow wire to the brown one.

hayden

Reaction score
Do you want your fogs on anytime the running lights, low beams, and high beams are on? If you are okay with having the fogs on anytime the knob is turned than just run a wire from the yellow wire to the brown one.[/QUO

No i just wanna be able to turn them on with parking lights and headlights im running hids in both so i dont have high beams anymore. Sounds like a seperate switch would be a lot easier. Thanks agin for the help

golfer

Reaction score
you should be able to switch your headlight switch with a new (used, etc) one that has the provision for OEM foglights...then backprobe the connector to determine which pin is closed (on) when you pull out on the headlight switch...

did that on my Excursion...HIDs high, low & fogs

RedSmokey

Reaction score
you should be able to switch your headlight switch with a new (used, etc) one that has the provision for OEM foglights...then backprobe the connector to determine which pin is closed (on) when you pull out on the headlight switch...

did that on my Excursion...HIDs high, low & fogs

:whs: If you get a new switch and figure out the wiring/pin out you could probably reconfigure the switch/wiring. I just run the toggle switch myself but am considering trying to get a newer headlight switch and doing this.

Jason

Reaction score
Turn knob one click to the right (where parking lights are), pull knob out...whats so hard about that?? Hell, i usually turn it to the auto slot during the day/dusk and pull it out...gives me foglights only.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Turn knob one click to the right (where parking lights are), pull knob out...whats so hard about that?? Hell, i usually turn it to the auto slot during the day/dusk and pull it out...gives me foglights only.

Not all trucks are equiped with auto lights and can not turn one click and pull... Earlier trucks have to have the headlights on to turn the fogs on...

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Its hit and miss with some older trucks, But not all trucks come equiped with it, i think a lot dont. My 2000 and 2001 both didnt come with it.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Damn i drove a '00 that had it once, i figured it was just a standard through the years. Said 00 also has drl's.

May have been a Lariat or something. My truck is an 01 XLT and I had to have headlights on to pull the knob out.

chappy

Reaction score
I've got the newer switch and it works great for being able to put it on parking lights and pull out. I had to tape a wire though to keep the fogs on with highbeams because it would shut them off when switching. So dumb because they would come on with the parking lights.

trackspeeder

Reaction score
You can mechanically mod the switch so that it can be pulled out when in the running lamp position.

If you removed the switch plate from the switch, you will see the "ramp" that can be removed to allow the switch to be pulled out. Then just tap the Brown wire(parking lights) with the wires for the fog light relay I will have to look up the color though I can't remember right now.

This is the same for 01. Without DRL. I did this many years ago.:thumbsup:

Rob D

Reaction score
Bringing this up from the dead. What wire do you tap with brown? I tried tapping to yellow and that just puts the fog lights on as soon as headlights are switched to on. I am trying to get it wired so that fog lights can go on with running lights or headlights, but only when the switch is pulled out, similar to how my 05+ 6.0 worked. I do not care about leaving fogs on with high beams but like to run with fogs and running lights. I have already modded the switch itself mechanically to allow to be pulled out in the running light position.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.