How to make power in a 7.3

bricewise

Reaction score
My brother in law is asking about adding a little more power in his 1996 7.3. More than willing to help but have to admit I have no clue about the 7.3.

He wants to build power slowly. Not looking for extreme horsepower right off the bat so I'm trying to figure out the steps he'll need to take to build power slowly.

Tuner - Which tuner do you suggestion? And which tunes?
Turbo - Turbo upgrade worthwhile? Or billet for stock?
Injectors - ?

What am I missing?

Any help possible would be great. I'll continue doing some research.

bruce

Reaction score
He'll need efuel and intercooler. Depends on how much power he wants to make and how much money he has

bricewise

Reaction score
Any electric fuel recommendations?

Well he likes driving my H&S tuned 6.7. I dunno how much hp at the wheels that is but I'm guessing he'd be more than happy with 400-500.

bruce

Reaction score
Well obs are a lot lighter than a 6.7. 250/200, s468, srp1.1 is a pretty solid 550 horse combo. He'll need a built tranny by then. As for efuel, irate, nltd, Marty all have kits or you can DIY it

Jason

Reaction score
I'm curious why anytime somebody wants a little more go...you know...injectors and turbo, and they would be happy with 450-500, everybody automatically throws out s-series turbos, 250+ injectors, full fuel systems, studs, springs, a bts, pushrods yadda yadda. Not everybody gives a *** about that, and most people would be tickled with 238/80's and a 38r. It's a very basic setup that doesn't need a whole lot of extra bs along with it, and will be more than enough for a fun dd. Not everybody wants a 650hp "race" truck.

Not aimed at Bruce, not flaming him, it's an honest to god question, I see the question asked daily, and some $20k parts recipes thrown at the guy who wants more than tunes will provide.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I'm curious why anytime somebody wants a little more go...you know...injectors and turbo, and they would be happy with 450-500, everybody automatically throws out s-series turbos, 250+ injectors, full fuel systems, studs, springs, a bts, pushrods yadda yadda. Not everybody gives a *** about that, and most people would be tickled with 238/80's and a 38r. It's a very basic setup that doesn't need a whole lot of extra bs along with it, and will be more than enough for a fun dd. Not everybody wants a 650hp "race" truck.

Not aimed at Bruce, not flaming him, it's an honest to god question, I see the question asked daily, and some $20k parts recipes thrown at the guy who wants more than tunes will provide.

I thought like that too, but let's face it. In a diesel truck that is heavy as chit and is expensive to mod, you've got to pay to play.

Suppose he does the budget build, cuts a few corners, and gets 5k miles out of the motor before it pops. That's a big chunk of change to be getting a motor rebuilt, or a junkyard motor and swapping parts.

Do it right the first time, and enjoy the truck. If you're worried about spending too much $$ then go get a 5liter mustang and hop it up for cheap. Just my .02 cents!

Although to be fair, I did my setup in my truck for about $2500 and it's been pretty damn reliable so far.

Jason

Reaction score
I don't cut corners, I learned at any early age to do it once, and do it right. If you want to do it "cheap", that's the ONLY way to build it. I also don't shop for deals, used parts etc..new only..learned that in my deal I got burned on...on a 5.0 motor build actually.

What I am saying is...I agree if you're going to do injectors and turbo, supporting mods are necessary, you can not have one without the other. What I was getting at is this..say I decide to swap out my factory injectors, and turbo, for something fresh, and peppier. I come on the board and say "I'd like to make a reliable cool 450rw, and tow my car trailer regularly, what should I do?" you get replies from people listing off 600rw parts...and not everybody needs wants that...is my point. Not everybody is looking to dump $20k for a 600rw 7.3 that runs 12's...some just want to bring their dinosaur into the world of modern diesel power figures.

bruce

Reaction score
because its an obs, so why would you upgrade to sd to run a 38r when you can t4. 250/200's are the same price as 238/80, why not get them. i also like the 175/80, modded h2e option but with an obs you have to spend the money to upgrade to t4 or t4i because a d66 just dont cut it

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
because its an obs, so why would you upgrade to sd to run a 38r when you can t4. 250/200's are the same price as 238/80, why not get them. i also like the 175/80, modded h2e option but with an obs you have to spend the money to upgrade to t4 or t4i because a d66 just dont cut it

I didn't see the date in the OP's post, my bad. However, I rocked a 38r and mini-me's in my OBS back in the day with the help of DI Performance, Tom S, and a couple friends. Was such a kick ass setup on the street. 450hp setup that started every morning

dmd

Reaction score
At least get a valve body for the trans so it will last. Very cheap addition to help the trans for the additional power. Don't forget the gauges.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
So far, I've done 160's, ADR, homegrown Efuel/intake on my 97. I've got less than 2k in it.

It's already a fun truck.

I'd like to do a D66, and IC it.

Thats honestly all I'll ever want outa that truck, and to back up what Steve is saying, it'll be soooo nice to have a 400hp truck that'll start every day, give me 400hp all day long, and never make me uneasy about driving it long distance, or whether or not it'll start in the morning.

160-238cc and a 38R is a sweet set up for a DD, I honestly don't see a damn thing stopping the D66 with the same injector from being just as sweet a DD set up.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'd do a tune hpop and a set of 160's. Put a VB and TC in and let it eat. But make sure to do and intake and exhaust first of course. If you've never seen an obs Dp crawl under it look. My obs impresses a lot of people with the little i have done in my SIG mainly because its so light.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

jaybuller

Reaction score
38r and 238/80 hybrids valve springs headstuds and tge fuel system. Intercool it then Live tune it . 450 plus rwhp and plenty reliable aftr you adress tye transmission.

Latest posts

Members online