How-To: Replace OBS Ignition Switch

mjonesjr

Reaction score
I couldn't find a how-to on replacing the ignition switch in my '97 OBS after the rocker that you turn broke.

First, get yourself a new ignition switch from your local parts store.

Here is a couple part numbers if you wanted to go that route. Note, the price is from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

- Lock Smart w/ 2 Keys P/N: LC61770 ($22.99) (Limited Lifetime Warranty)
- Borg Warner w/ 2 Keys P/N: CS448L ($47.99) (Limited Lifetime Warranty)
- Motorcraft: 1L3A-11582-AC ($75.99) (1 Year Warranty)

Tool Needed:
- Long Pointed Punch

I went with the Lock Smart for a couple reasons. One, it was in stock. Two, it was the cheapest, yet had the same limited lifetime warranty as the Borg Warner part.

The first part of the removal is to turn the key to the RUN position. This allows the pin that keeps the cylinder in place to be pushed up so you can remove the cylinder.

The pin can be accessed through the steering column cover. The picture below shows where the pin is accessed.

IMG_0100.jpg

This shows the pin and where it is without the column cover on.

IMG_0099.jpg

Once you have the key in the run position, push the pin in.

IMG_0101.jpg

Pull the key cylinder straight out.

Here you can see the old cylinder and the new cylinder.

IMG_0102.jpg

Turn the new cylinder into the run position and slide it into the hole in the steering column.

Cycle the key to the off position, ACC position, and the Run position to verify that it is working properly.

Before:
IMG_0103.jpg

After:
IMG_0104.jpg

chromehound

Reaction score
It took me longer to find a small enough screwdriver to hit the button than to do the rest of the job. LOLLOL

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
Will the newer PATS key fit that? I need to do my pickup and would love to key it the same as my X so I carry one less key around.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
No the newer PATS ignition will not fit. The PATS ignition switches have a chip in them as well that needs programming.

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
I was just wondering if the slot on the cylinder was big enough to allow me to use my existing pats key for my excursion to work in the cylinder if I have the cylinder keyed to fit the excursion key.

mjonesjr

Reaction score
I was just wondering if the slot on the cylinder was big enough to allow me to use my existing pats key for my excursion to work in the cylinder if I have the cylinder keyed to fit the excursion key.
I thought you were talking about using a PATS ignition switch as well :redspotdance:

It is a bit bigger than the factory. I would say the worst case is you could go to a parts store and look at one to see if it would fit. Worst you can do is say no.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Is this the part people are talking about replacing when they have problems with certain things (i.e. WTS power, accessory power) won't function?

bluedge8

Reaction score
Is this the part people are talking about replacing when they have problems with certain things (i.e. WTS power, accessory power) won't function?

no, this is the key cylinder, the actual ignition switch is farther down the column and actuated by the key cylinder

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Thank you sir. I have a truck with a faulty ignition right now among other things. Key has to be turned with a particular side towards you and jiggled quite a bit.

Aaaand, the driver door lock won't unlock via key. Time to hunt up a matched set.

Thanks for the info. No longer intimidated by this project!

Latest posts

Members online