How To Tame Larger Injs and Nozzles?

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
i am curious how to tame the larger nozzle injectors. yes i have read the heui sticky.

i have talked to some injector builders and am wondering about the correlation of pw, icp, mass fuel desired and volume fuel desired.

there are a few people that i have talked with having driveability issues.

especially the ones with oil and fuel side mods to the injectors.

heard that the computer will actually defuel because of too much fuel with these "fast" injectors. causing slightly rough running to the feeling of a miss.

Also wondering what makes these injectors run better with cooler oil temps.

can the pw be decreased and the icp raised to help smooth the idle and low throttle cruise?

also please school me on the mass fuel desired and volume fuel desired.

thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Short Bus

Reaction score
You shouldnt have any problems with 200% nozzles listed in your sig. They should idle like stock, who's tuning are you running?

Gearhead

Reaction score
The aggressive 200s are a bit tricky but you have to balance the icp lower with smoke at idle and light cruise. The issue is minimum fuel delivered by the injectors can cause the engine to only run on a few cylinders since it is a fuel throttled engine.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
As far as who the tuner is, he is well aware of the situation and i have full faith he will have no problem fixing it.

with that being said, i am very intriuged as to how the fuel demand and fuel volume play their parts.

as well as how the oil and fuel side mods come into play with tuning.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Okay tell me how a diesel engien maintains idle speed with no load on the engine. Then tell me how the engine is supposed to do it properly when the minimum quantity of fuel the injector can deliver is more than the the engine needs in every cylinder to make that happen. Once you see what is happening there you can understand. So say you only need 10mm^3 at idle to maintain idle speed but the injector does 0 at .8ms but 15mm^3 at .85ms. How is is supposed to get enough resolution to give the 10mm^3 that the engine wants at that point?

superstroker99

Reaction score
I think he is saying the injectors are more like a on off switch for some who dont know how to work the icp along with the pw to get the amout of fuel a engine is asking for at a given load or rpm. BTW im no injector expert just try to read up and understand what i mess with everyday.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to do as well. Just get a idea of how all this correlates with one another.

These heui's take amazing understanding of how they work to make them work correctly.

Matt, so this is where lowering the icp comes into play?

Just trying to gain a better understanding is all. Let's face it, tuning the heui is a art form.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Okay tell me how a diesel engien maintains idle speed with no load on the engine. Then tell me how the engine is supposed to do it properly when the minimum quantity of fuel the injector can deliver is more than the the engine needs in every cylinder to make that happen. Once you see what is happening there you can understand. So say you only need 10mm^3 at idle to maintain idle speed but the injector does 0 at .8ms but 15mm^3 at .85ms. How is is supposed to get enough resolution to give the 10mm^3 that the engine wants at that point?

So this is why it cuts out cylinders correct?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
This is one reason why I have been preaching control resolution for these injectors. At any given ICP and PW - a particular injector is going to get a certain volume of fuel - if you want it to be less fuel you need to either lower the ICP or lower the PW - the problem gets to be that there are only so many options - you can only lower the PW to so short before the injector doesn't actually open, you can only lower the ICP so much before it can't overcome the nozzle pop off pressure, etc....

Since I am short on time at the moment please reference the post below - notice how the total injector capacity and injector tip are the same but one has more options of combinations of ICP and PW for delivering a particular quantity of fuel? Particularly in the idle range.... cruise area is easier to deal with in tuning most of the time - but it really can get dicey in the idle area.

Since my name was brought up a couple of times in this thread - I'm going to make some comments that may not really answer the OP's questions - but its some info that I think people need to see and know about. Many people have asked me about the injectors that I have spent time and money on creating - I have no real desire to speak about them directly or specifically -but want to show some things about injection speed and control.

Here is the graphical representation of a standard set of 238cc hybrid injectors with an "80%" tip:

Now certain things can be done to those injectors to improve the injection speed - things like a larger tip, fuel side injector modifications, etc.... that is easy to do and the initial results show pretty substantial gains in flow rate across the board:

Now that's all well and good - we've got more fueling capabilities - but at the same time we have lost a bit of control resolution making them harder to tune for - you just can't dial down the tuning as quickly and easily in certain areas and the transition periods going from different ICP settings or PW times can be a little finicky - this is shown mostly by the sloping of the injection graph - its nice and steep from all angles and ramps up to some pretty significant fueling capabilities. The real trick is to continue with the modifications to the injector to improve upon that control resolution to make it better to drive, easier to tune, and overall more of a pleasure to own and enjoy on a daily basis with more power and RPM capability than what are current standard issue injectors:

Now before I get criticized - the first two graphs are actual data - I used actual data that I have to mimic the third graph for this example to make it a better visualization for everyone. This is the same volume and the same injector tip, and even the same "fast fuel" mods - but it has other things that have been tweaked to further improve the control. This is what makes a high flow rate injector more controllable and driver friendly - take note at how it has a much less steep fueling curve.

Now I brought up this information because myself and the vendors that I deal with for injection have been slowly working on improving the control-ability of the high flow rate injectors on our own time and our own dime. The injection rate that we have is well over 400cc of fuel in a very usable time window - the trick is controlling it effectively - I have no desire to give the OK to the vendors to begin shipping these injectors that are finicky to tune and control.

So if money was no object - well over 400ccs of fuel in a usable time window in a controllable package could be finalized and sold. We all recognize that its a short and dying list of people that even care any more about this - there is really no way that we can recoup the costs even at this point - that is why we are not rushing anything - its a losing battle on the money front and we are doing it for us - when things are ready - they would be available through the vendors that I work with.

Jason

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Still trying to understand the volume of fuel desired along with mass fuel desired and the part they play in tuning.

Gearhead

Reaction score
VFD and MFD are just the amount of fuel it is calling for (or thinks it is calling for). volume or mass of fuel is a product of pressure and pulsewidth.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
As far as who the tuner is, he is well aware of the situation and i have full faith he will have no problem fixing it.

Is he a sponsor on this site?
If not, I would not trust his ability, unless he's one of 5 private individuals who tune their own truck and are well known among the Power Stroke community.

Reason I say this is I get calls all the time, customers tell me something like "Joe Bob down at the corner garage tunes gassers with SCT and tells me he knows what he's doing."
This won't get you proper tuning....

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
These injectors never had any shake or miss to them in my truck with cales tunes.. But he no longer tunes... Give matt a shot at it.

baderic03

Reaction score
I have matt tune my truck and others I dd my truck and put 2k miles on it a month I have had 200/30,250/200, and now 450/400s and cont to dd my truck and no problem getting in it and driving it accros the country and not worry with Matt's tunes and my truck still gets 16mpg cruisen down the highway ac on In my opion there is only a handful of tuners out there that can tune 200% or larger nozzle correctly and effiently and keep everything happy.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Matt is the tuner. And for once it is nice to have great fuel mileage and useable cruise controll with low smoke. But if you turn up the chip ( still way detuned ) it makes light work of the rubbers.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Just got back from a 1200 mile round trip and averaged 20 mpg at 70 on cc.

Very happy about it too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.