How would you go about this?

isootmypants

Reaction score
Was taking manifolds off to take out manifold gaskets and saw this h11 was gone. 3-4" down, snapped flush. 1" above deck height. Was thinking reverse drill bit, or maybe take another bolt with jb weld on bottom and stick it in hole let it cure the. Try backing it out. Was gonna take heater box out to get more room. Don't feel like pulling head. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 166

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Wonder how that happen. Drilling that hard of medal may be impossible.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
Get a good center punch on it and try a reverse drill bit. If your lucky the stud isn't bottomed out and the drill should catch it and back it out.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I forget that the stud in the block isn't torqued down like the nut on top.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I would not do the JB Weld thing mentioned. You will have a head with a bolt and stud epoxied into one piece.

Left handed drill bit - if that doesn't work.... 1) keep driving it and pray or 2) pull the head so you can get something on the stud to back it out.

Arisley

Reaction score
If you have to pull the head, cut a slot in the stud and use a big screwdriver.

Or JBWeld a short bolt with a nut on the top of it in the hole. Sell the truck.

gwunter

Reaction score
Don't skimp on the quality of the left handed drill bit. Last thing you want is broken drill bit down in there.

505yam

Reaction score
If the reverse drill bit doesn't work, I have heard of old time welders sticking a small piece of pipe in the hole and then using a stick welder to weld the pipe and stud together. Just a last resort before pulling the head.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
If the reverse drill bit doesn't work, I have heard of old time welders sticking a small piece of pipe in the hole and then using a stick welder to weld the pipe and stud together. Just a last resort before pulling the head.

I feel like I just added a new trick for my toolbox.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Works great when they break deep in a hole. when they break relatively flush, washers work great when you need more surface to weld to

I've done the washer trick, welded lots of nuts on, etc.... but I have no idea why it never occurred to me to use a pipe and stick welder for a bolt/stud down a hole. I have worked on a lot of antique tractors over the years and there are an awful lot of broken manifold bolts out there... lol I'm sure I'll be trying this out soon enough.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Wonder how that happen. Drilling that hard of medal may be impossible.

Hardening doesn't usually penetrate to the center of the bolt/stud. Ever wonder why drilling the center is easy. As you start using larger drill bits, it get tougher to drill....the threads are hardened. There is no strength in the center of a round piece of metal......great example are gun drilled axles. All the strength comes from the outer edge.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

taterthedog

Reaction score
The pipe trick works great when the bolt is sitting below the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online