Howl noise leading to no start

brdaun

Reaction score
Okay gents,

So today truck started to make a howling noise, almost sounding like you had the window down. This is at normal operating temps and everything checked out fine temp wise. Turned my A/C off and it quieted down a bit but then came back.
The sound went up and down with the engine revs, I pulled into a parking lot to check out the sound on the outside and pull a few different readings.
Shut the truck off and it wouldn't start back up, no crank at all. Tried to read the fuel rail temp but truck needed to be running to do so.

Went and had lunch to see if it would start back up if it had cooled down, still a no go. No crank or anything. now I initially thought it could be a fuelling issue but would the truck still crank if it was a fuelling issue?

I am getting it towed to the Ford dealership right now but id rather have some input or an idea of what it could be so I could point em in the right direction.

Cmon pros help me out :ford:

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Clicking or anything?

AC compressor clutch pulley bearing may have **** the bed.

Surprisingly this can prevent the engine from cranking.

brdaun

Reaction score
Nope no clicking at all, I did have the alternator replaced last month because of the timing noise from the the idler pulley area.
For a little update, (I dd with the spartan 300) I decided to tune it to something else to see if it would reset the truck, tuned it to stock dpf off. Started right up no problems, took it for a decent drive. Only thing that happened during the drive was it bogged down pretty hard at one point like it didn't want to go.
Also my coolant temp was fluctuating pretty badly which I've never seen before, would shoot between 180 and 200 within 15-20 seconds. Oil temp stayed steady at normal temps.

So the coolant temps shouldn't be fluctuating that badly, what could cause that.
I will drive it on the stock tune for a few days and see what it does before I retune it/ take it to the dealership.

webb06

Reaction score
sounds like the fan was the noise you were hearing. which is why it would fluctuate with the rpm.

is the truck deleted? all stock? need some details

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Truck is apparently deleted if he DD Spartan 300 :poke: and then tuned to stock power dpf off

brdaun

Reaction score
Yeah tuned and deleted, still have egr in place, around 100k miles.
I spoke to a friend and he said my egr could have plugged up since I've ha it shut off for so long, causing the coolant to heat dramatically and drop quickly and then put the truck into some no start mode.
And it would also make sense that when I tuned it to stock dpf off (which turns the egr on) the truck would run fine....maybe that one bog down was me eating huge chunks of egr sh*t.

Is my reasoning logical? Is this the kick in the pants I need to finally get off my ass and do the egr delete? haha

webb06

Reaction score
Didn't even read the post that you got it started lol when I had spartan tunes I know my egr valve would get stuck from running on the higher tunes and then switching to the 210. Delete the coolers off and get some no limit piping and call it a day

brdaun

Reaction score
Well that's what I will be doing asap, already have the intercooler piping just need to schedule some time to do this damn egr.
Appreciate the help gents!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.