hp question

steele86

Reaction score
for all you guy with big hp i'm talking about 500+ can you use all that power towing a trailer. the reason i'm asking is i was talking to a guy about use able hp he said all power is use able, i don't thinks so do you guys think you can pull you (gvw)

brian89

Reaction score
have you ever read the Diesel Power Challenge in Diesel Power mag? they do a towing challenge with 1000+hp trucks

onebad7.3

Reaction score
Custom tuned chip with a tow setting, you don't want to be towing in the hottest setting.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Power is usable - but the question is for how long? Just because a truck is capable of making say 600hp, doesn't mean that it makes it all the time. If you take say a 600hp truck out and run it at 600hp non-stop with no issues in the motor, you will quickly melt and destroy most of the driveline behind it. These 1 ton drivelines are not meant to handle that kind of power at a high duty cycle. You will cook your transmission, wear out your u-joints, burn you diff fluid, etc....

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
then why have all that hp if you cant use it

Fun.

To the OP: I believe that Charles is the only one to truly test this out in a DD truck. I believe that he found 350-400rwhp to be about all the rear end would take under a heavy load for an extended amount of time

MINK

Reaction score
Fun.

To the OP: I believe that Charles is the only one to truly test this out in a DD truck. I believe that he found 350-400rwhp to be about all the rear end would take under a heavy load for an extended amount of time

I agree - 350-400rwhp with cool temps makes for a nice tow.

RNicol

Reaction score
Also depends on how you drive it. Some people pull heavy loads and romp the **** out of it and keep their foot planted on the floor. If you drive with common sense (which many people lack), and keep an eye on temps, that helps a ton.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Mine tow tune is around a 400hp tune and i never run out of power.. It's pointless to go try as wot your truck to use all 500hp to tow something.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
If I could make my truck run at a constant 600hp towing that would probably equate to 110+ mph ? What do you plan to tow at that speed ?

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Charles used his truck to pull almost daily with his setup of the 38r and 4788 on 400/400's sitting right around 600hp.. He found that bts's only managed to last a year or two at the most before they let go. All of this was before he started having oil issues to cope with.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Charles used his truck to pull almost daily with his setup of the 38r and 4788 on 400/400's sitting right around 600hp.. He found that bts's only managed to last a year or two at the most before they let go. All of this was before he started having oil issues to cope with.

He didnt tow at 600hp...

350-400hp to get it moving, I run a hot street tune to tow most of the time. I like the shifting and EGT's better.

but just because the tune is capable of 500hp does not mean your making that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.