HP Turbo is toast.

groove

Reaction score
So, what I thought was a torque converter going south is actually my HP turbo failing. Sounds like the vanes are hitting once she warms up a little.
Not to open a can of worms, but is it worth going to an upgraded HP over stock given that I have no plans of adding fuel in the future. I am (was) totally happy with my trucks performance with mods in my sig. However, since I am in there anyway...

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I'd sure like to be able to answer ur question but seems my truck is still in a pickle. My turbos are coming off and going to Elite next week. I however will sub bc if my HP needs replacing/rebuilding I may just go with a stocker

Nic

Reaction score
I have the 59/71s and love them. They still light fast with IDPs tuning. I'm ready for a GH tune. I had the same thing happen to me. I just upgraded. The cost was just about the same so I said WTH.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So, what I thought was a torque converter going south is actually my HP turbo failing. Sounds like the vanes are hitting once she warms up a little.
Not to open a can of worms, but is it worth going to an upgraded HP over stock given that I have no plans of adding fuel in the future. I am (was) totally happy with my trucks performance with mods in my sig. However, since I am in there anyway...

not specifically, the gains are minimal (20hp or so) with stock fuel, lower egt and a bit better spool. guess it depends on cost vs goals .

Diesel23

Reaction score
I would definitely up grade to the 59 hp , as little as it does it all helps in the long run. Forsure get in touch with ^^^^ Morgan at Midwest , he can get you squared away with little to no down time !!!

B585Ford

Reaction score
I am not sure about spooling but it should keep your EBP lower. With just a 71 and the other mods in my sig (stock fuel) at WOT my actual EBP would get over 70 and still climbing when I let off.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

Does it make a grinding/ high pitch noise when you are at 20 PSI or higher? I'm trying to see if the high pressure is going out on one of my 6.4's and if the HP is causing that high pitch/grinding noise that i'm hearing.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
make sure that you dont have broken exhaust studs in the manifolds or other exhaust leaks, it can sound like the vanes are hitting the turbine but thats not always the case

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
make sure that you dont have broken exhaust studs in the manifolds or other exhaust leaks, it can sound like the vanes are hitting the turbine but thats not always the case

I also have what appears to be oil leaking out of the seal on the HP turbo. So that why i'm guessing it is toast but i'll look to see if the broken studs. I checked out the uppipes they look fine to me no soot on the bellows or on the firewall.

Latest posts

Members online