Hpo issue?

Bigred91

Reaction score
So I'm helping a buddy with his truck, it's a 2006 with 230k miles, sct running canned tunes, cai, exhaust, egr delete and studs. He drive it to school a few days ago and everything was fine, when leaving school the truck started and immediately stalled and wouldn't crank. Checked it with my solus ultra and had a code for internal ficm failure and was only making 10 v for ficm power and also was only building 59 psi of icp. So we rebuilt the ficm, got a reman hpop from ford, went ahead and did stand pipes, dummy plugs, stc fitting, injector orings, and when we tore it apart found metal had gone through the Ipr valve. So we got a new Ipr valve while we were in there. Now the truck cranks over fine but will not build a single psi of hpo. I pulled the icp sensor and cranked on it to try and bleed the air out of the system but no oil ever came out of the rail and couldn't feel any pressure coming from icp sensor hole. Cranked on it on and off for an hour and still no pressure at all. Ipr percentage is 15 with key on and 85 while cranking on it. Pressurized the system with Ipr at 90% and couldn't find any leaks. So my guess at this point is that we got a bad pump from ford. But I'm not positive so any help is appreciated. Sorry about the bad grammar and the long explanation just trying to put all the information I have on here

Wildman

Reaction score
So I'm helping a buddy with his truck, it's a 2006 with 230k miles, sct running canned tunes, cai, exhaust, egr delete and studs. He drive it to school a few days ago and everything was fine, when leaving school the truck started and immediately stalled and wouldn't crank. Checked it with my solus ultra and had a code for internal ficm failure and was only making 10 v for ficm power and also was only building 59 psi of icp. So we rebuilt the ficm, got a reman hpop from ford, went ahead and did stand pipes, dummy plugs, stc fitting, injector orings, and when we tore it apart found metal had gone through the Ipr valve. So we got a new Ipr valve while we were in there. Now the truck cranks over fine but will not build a single psi of hpo. I pulled the icp sensor and cranked on it to try and bleed the air out of the system but no oil ever came out of the rail and couldn't feel any pressure coming from icp sensor hole. Cranked on it on and off for an hour and still no pressure at all. Ipr percentage is 15 with key on and 85 while cranking on it. Pressurized the system with Ipr at 90% and couldn't find any leaks. So my guess at this point is that we got a bad pump from ford. But I'm not positive so any help is appreciated. Sorry about the bad grammar and the long explanation just trying to put all the information I have on here

If there are no leaks in the high pressure oil system (as you have verified), the problem is the replacement high pressure oil pump (HPOP) or the base oil system not allowing oil to reach the HPOP.

To test the base oil system, remove the oil filter while holding down the anti-drainback valve in the oil filter housing using a screwdriver. While cranking the engine, the oil filter housing should fill with oil within a few seconds. If it doesn't, this indicates that the base oil pump or oil pickup is at fault.

If the filter housing fills properly, check the oil reservoir nylon screen and the passage between the reservoir and the pump. If either is restricted, it will not allow oil to reach the HPOP. If you don't find any restrictions, suspect a faulty replacement HPOP.

Bigred91

Reaction score
I checked lpo and it is getting plenty. So we went ahead and pulled the hpop and went to ford to get a new one today. Will be replacing it tomorrow. Thanks for the reply! I will let you know what happens.

Gary

Reaction score
I had one that had the same problem like you described, the guy installed the updated STC fitting upside down.

Bigred91

Reaction score
Well the new pump had come with the fitting already on and it was right. That's crazy though! But ford warranties the pump and somehow my buddy got them to pay the labor too

Latest posts

Members online