HPPO FAILURE .. NEED OPINIONS/ADVICE

David N

Reaction score
Ironically enough, my stock 240k mile HPOP went bad after I put a Gen3 on my truck. Literally within 500 miles. Maybe the added pressure found a weak point in the pump? I have no idea, or if pressure made by the Gen3 could have an effect like that. But it was coincidental, and now yours too?

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Ironically enough, my stock 240k mile HPOP went bad after I put a Gen3 on my truck. Literally within 500 miles. Maybe the added pressure found a weak point in the pump? I have no idea, or if pressure made by the Gen3 could have an effect like that. But it was coincidental, and now yours too?

Was that with stock injectors ? I put the gen 3 on with my 350k pmr motor with what I believe were the original injectors. Rode out for probably 3k , and truck felt like beast mode compared to without it. I know the jr was tired, because it couldn't hold 1900 icp in a hot tune. Could Hold 3000 in Stock tune but no thanks. After the gen 3 it would get 36-3800 like now. I wouldn't be surprised if the added gen 3 pressure finished both our pumps off, but dam man I don't know if I could go without it after feeling the difference. I should have left this pos alone..

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Most would rather hand them over. I was just pointing g out they are not complicated on the oil sides. Granted without pulling the fuel sides you cannot clean out the IP piston chamber. I suppose I could come up with a way to flush it thru the feed port which is exposed when you pull the body top off. That's just me. We all know sending injectors out to be gone thru is not cheap. If you put an oil side back together the way you took it apart there should be no issue. I've pulled the oil sides apart without removing the injectors from the engine to make repairs. Most of the debris is likely to be caught before it enters the feed ports on the outside of the body as seen when the injector is removed. The lift on the poppet valve is low so no huge debris is likely to make it past the poppet valve to the IP passage. Granted sending them in would be the recommended way. As you are pulling the injectors out I would do so slowly and stopping once the oil feed section is exposed and use a vacuum to prevent debris from falling into the fuel section feed holes and or down into the cylinder.

I have a thing for over tightening stuff and breaking it. I wouldn't even consider trying to pull and injector apart. Props for you though brother for building your own, I remember reading when you did it and every one called you crazy but obviously your truck is still alive and well.

superpsd

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that. P. I. S. does quality work. So as far as the Dyno proven pump. Did they offer any conclusion to probable cause for the pump to destruct like that? I have heard of hpop failures like that but I think they were rather rare.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
I'm gonna try and get Jonathan on the phone tomorrow for his opinion on the root cause. If it's the pump itself then yeah still sucks either way, but at least I know some thing else didn't cause the pump failure. Being such a rare type of failure , my guess is it's kind of tough to put a finger on the exact cause. Seems like the pump went from just tired, to ISIS suicide bomber quick fast.

I was thinking about lack of low pressure oil running the hpop dry , but it seems like plenty of people have lost an lpop and never even harmed their hpop let alone grenaded it.

There could be something I've over looked , but my gut says the pump s the culprit. Possibly the gen 3 was to much for the little jr.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
I would jump on eBay and find some good strong rare earth magnets for cheap and stick a bunch on your oil pan. Won't catch the brass but anything magnetic that could be floating around. Really makes you wonder about that pump, thing is tore up pretty good.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Jim Dawg told me his oil won't shear and I could run it 10k with the gen3..

I had never rode in a 7.3 with bigger injectors till mine, but plenty of just tuned 7.3's. My truck on stock injectors with gen3 would have ate any of them up for breakfast.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
On stock injectors I didn't see above 42%. With the hybrids , I wasn't able to monitor a whole lot because I was messing with radiator hose leaks and other little crap but when I watched it it never went above 40%.

Neither was tuned for the big oil.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Just got the pump back from DP. Looks like they scraped the old case too.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to look everything over today for how far the carnage spread.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Not having it tuned for the Gen3 MAY have done some damage. But if you were able to watch the pressure might have been ok.

DieselJpower

Reaction score

I've read through those threads , I appreciate it though. I was told by Jonathan (last year) , that if I ever had my pump off to send it in and he would update it for free because of the internal springs they started using after the first 300 they built. My view now is if I decide to run this one, at least it's fresh and a different case all together. On the other hand it's fresh and I could sell it to fund a different pump and just buy a core cheap or pay the core charge.

I'm extremely hesitant to run this one though after this ordeal. I would have been fine with a little leak as opposed to needing to rebuild my motor now.

And no, called this a.m. and was told Jonathan would call when he was back in the building but yall already know how that turned out..

20170412_191311.jpg

20170412_191244.jpg

superpsd

Reaction score
I don't blame you for not wanting to run it. I'm running thier SR pump and so far so good. I don't see how the Gen3 would have caused this issue. Considering many run the Gen3 setup. Might call Swamps to see if they could point a finger at the failure. Are you planning on a complete tear down and inspection or just oil inspection. Might drain the oil and have it sent in for an oil analysis.

Last edited:

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Run at your own risk IMHO. Fwiw, I have almost 200K miles on my Adrenaline and it's just as strong today as it was when I put it on. That HBJ shouldn't have been so tired as young as it was IMO. I think the fact that they replaced it says enough about where the blame lies for your situation.

Latest posts

Members online