HUGE 6.4L build project complete

dmkolb

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive comments. Ya I'm gonna drive it but it's not done yet. Still in the shop getting all the bugs worked out. Working out a fuel rail pressure surge issue. Gearhead is adjusting the tune with Morgan's help. Just little things we are finding as we get close to the end of this build.

B585Ford

Reaction score
On my phone, I cant see the pics. Did you delete the fuel bowl and cooler? Also what are doing on the low pressure side for fuel (sorry if you addressed that in your first post, cant see that right now)?

dmkolb

Reaction score
On my phone, I cant see the pics. Did you delete the fuel bowl and cooler? Also what are doing on the low pressure side for fuel (sorry if you addressed that in your first post, cant see that right now)?

Nope we didn't delete the fuel bowl. I wanted an extra fuel filter on it so we left it. As for low pressure side for fuel do you mean lift pump? If that what you were asking about I'm using a Fass Titanium 150 GPH Lift Pump.

RSK

Reaction score
Awesome build, looks top notch! I'm really excited to tear mine down and do everything you did before my pistons crack or before there is any issues! good luck, and post video's asap!!!

dmkolb

Reaction score
Awesome build, looks top notch! I'm really excited to tear mine down and do everything you did before my pistons crack or before there is any issues! good luck, and post video's asap!!!

Thanks. Hope to dyno some time in June. When I do that night I'll have numbers posted on this thread.

RSK

Reaction score
Thanks. Hope to dyno some time in June. When I do that night I'll have numbers posted on this thread.

how do the turbo's clean up the 30% nozzles? 100% smoke free at wide open? slight haze? heavy haze?

dmkolb

Reaction score
We haven't driven it much as we keep having the tune adjusted. Want it 100% perfect before we take it out put any real miles on it and especially before we rail on it. It idle there is a very slight haze but we think once it's broken it that will go away.

dmkolb

Reaction score
Since my last post we have been fighting a fuel rail pressure surge. We were using a SCT Livewire and Gearhead was working with us and we just could never get the surge to go away. Morgan Primm suggested as a last dig hope to try an H&S tuner. He found us one and Gearhead sent us tunes for the H&S. It worked perfectly and all the issues we were fighting went away. It was explained to that with the H&S there is a lot more things that can be adjusted. I don't really understand it but honestly I don't need to. It works the way it's suppose to using the H&S. Steve my mechanic buddy doing all the work on it took it out and was telling me at 40 MPH he got into it to about 75% throttle and broke the rear tires loose on the highway. He said it pulls freakin hard and it was super clean so he has to go and check what tune it is running because he wasn't sure but because it's running so clean he didn't think it was the race tune. I'll be going to the shop on Monday June 30th and we'll start working on getting the BOV and wastegate dialed in. Then we'll use a local dyno to set them up the rest of the way. The dyno we are going to use for testing can't load their dyno so I'm not looking to go there for my dyno run that will give me an idea of what it's putting out HP wise. It looks like we are going to be able to make the diesel drags in Spokane, WA on Aug 2nd. Hoping there is a dyno there but no matter what I'll be getting some quarter mile times. Hoping for anything in the 11s. We'll wait and see what it does.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Since my last post we have been fighting a fuel rail pressure surge. We were using a SCT Livewire and Gearhead was working with us and we just could never get the surge to go away. Morgan Primm suggested as a last dig hope to try an H&S tuner. He found us one and Gearhead sent us tunes for the H&S. It worked perfectly and all the issues we were fighting went away. It was explained to that with the H&S there is a lot more things that can be adjusted. I don't really understand it but honestly I don't need to. It works the way it's suppose to using the H&S. Steve my mechanic buddy doing all the work on it took it out and was telling me at 40 MPH he got into it to about 75% throttle and broke the rear tires loose on the highway. He said it pulls freakin hard and it was super clean so he has to go and check what tune it is running because he wasn't sure but because it's running so clean he didn't think it was the race tune. I'll be going to the shop on Monday June 30th and we'll start working on getting the BOV and wastegate dialed in. Then we'll use a local dyno to set them up the rest of the way. The dyno we are going to use for testing can't load their dyno so I'm not looking to go there for my dyno run that will give me an idea of what it's putting out HP wise. It looks like we are going to be able to make the diesel drags in Spokane, WA on Aug 2nd. Hoping there is a dyno there but no matter what I'll be getting some quarter mile times. Hoping for anything in the 11s. We'll wait and see what it does.

Its amazing that switching programmers with tunes written by same tuner would fix everything. I had always thought SCT offered more tables....obviously I was wrong. Glad to hear that you are getting the bugs worked out and looking forward to hearing the results.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Its amazing that switching programmers with tunes written by same tuner would fix everything. I had always thought SCT offered more tables....obviously I was wrong. Glad to hear that you are getting the bugs worked out and looking forward to hearing the results.

mcc has way more tables.

dmkolb

Reaction score
I guess it's a huge difference. None of the problems we were experiencing with the SCT Livewire are there with the H&S. Hopefully this will save someone else the few months of heart ache it caused us.

getstroked27

Reaction score
sounds about right regarding MCC tuning. i ditched my SCT and picked up a vin locked XRT pro when i did my build, my buddy went the other route and cant get his dialed in at all. ironically, blown up pipe bellows were the reason i even started my build, i'll keep my fingers crossed you dont have any issues man, its a sweet looking rig/setup!

dmkolb

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I posted anything. The trucks done and running on the road. I haven't been able to dyno yet but we will be at the Spokane, WA Diesel Drags on Aug 1st & 2nd. I'll be running the truck on the track to find out what she'll do in the quarter mile and hoping there will be a dyno there also.

The link below is final pics of the truck and build.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10202605015469006&type=1&l=cad9fb2844

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.