Huge black smoke suddenly??

birdco85

Reaction score
So I don't drive the truck much, about 2k a year, but I have a sudden issue. The truck has always had a fair amount of black smoke since I did the injectors (200/30) but now it is a ton. I need to do a turbo upgrade to help control it but don't have the dough right now for that.

Before the current issue, It usually smoked in OD when I kind of lug it to pick up some speed. Once the turbo spools, and I'm trying to hot rod it, the thick smoke turns into a medium haze. If I drive it normally the smoke clears. Now, it just pours a pretty heavy amount of smoke while doing the same thing. I hadn't driven the truck for about 2 months and this is when it started. It also started taking longer to start, hot or cold.

I'm not sure if I have a sticking injector, they only have probably 2k miles on them, or a leaking injector, or an oring issue. I'm kind of ruling out the leaking injector because it does hold fuel pressure when turned off. It doesn't quite stay at 65psi when I shut it down, but drops to maybe 55ish. Could that be a failing but not failed oring?. Today I put a good amount of diesel kleen in the tank and ran it kind of hard. It seems that the smoke has cleared slightly but still does quite a bit.

At idle, it has a slight haze of whitish/blueish smoke, hardly noticeable but it smells awful. I can't tell if it smells like fuel or oil, but it smells like one of them.

I read somewhere to check the inside of the down pipe for oil in case the turbo seal is leaking at higher oil pressures. I did rebuild the turbo when I did the injectors. I haven't had a chance to do that yet but is that a possible condition? What else is there to check?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000wa250

Reaction score
who's tunes are you running? When was the last time you cleaned your air filter?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

birdco85

Reaction score
Php and they are custom for what I've got done. And I did the 6637 filter. It probably has 3-4 k on it. Doesn't look bad at all. I ruled that out because it started doing it after sitting for a couple months.

Reaction score
Start checking for boost leaks / up pipe leaks. I would also change the motor oil just because its been sitting.

birdco85

Reaction score
10-4. I R&R'd the intake not too long ago because those were leaking pretty bad. I put SD ones on. They were sealed at the time. I'm boosting as much as I was when I replaced them. No loss of power. I do have Gloshift gauges so who knows if it's accurate. It also has the really cheap rubber/plastic lines for the boost gauge. I top out at about 28psi and always have. Leads to believe the gauge is junk. I should be making more than that.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Clean the ebp sensor and tube just for the hell of it if you haven't already. Could the ebpv be sticking closed? Checked map sensor line?

birdco85

Reaction score
Ebpv is removed. Ebp tube and sensor was cleaned about 5k ago. Could be the oil. I'll change it. A there a way to check injectors for sticking? Will the oil spout just dump oil instead of spurt?

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Blueish/white smoke out the tail pipe is typically a sign of oil burning. Check your turbo compressor/piping for oil and the turbine side or down pipe for any signs of oil. Is your CCV re routed or is it still plumbed into the intake?

birdco85

Reaction score
Reroute but I was thinking of putting it back. Just need to put the hose fitting in my section of pipe used to delete it. It is not clogged and ran to my tranny xmember. All down hill. Thinking of fab in a catchcan with a sight glass. Might be unnecessary considering how much I drive.

Reaction score
Good call on checking the turbo. Those are pretty big injectors for a stock turbo. Pull off the intake hose and check for shaft play ect.

birdco85

Reaction score
I don't have it tuned to high. The biggest tune I have is their 140 extreme for the fact of my turbo and my tranny wasnt built at the time. I'm laid up sick right now so maybe I can look at it later or tomorrow.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Check for excessive blow by as well. Should be able to put the oil cap upside down on the filler neck and it should stay when the truck is warm at idle. Just like when I asked about the PCV re-route, process of elimination of factors that could cause the oil to enter the combustion chamber. Even at stock levels, turbo bearings, shafts, seals etc. can fail. Especially if it's on a older pickup.

birdco85

Reaction score
Ok so Blowby is not bad. Normal light haze. Cap stays on. I ended up being bed ridden for a while so I haven't had a chance to check the other stuff. I'll report back.

Latest posts