I did some research

Bad_company

Reaction score
OK guys... 04 6.0 studded deleted 58v CAI 155/stocks (the weeks old) banjo bolts blue spring gear head srl... First attempt starting cranks starts and dies second attempt hard start white smoke. Found this wondering if that is my issue
831db3359e210cd8a792a9badc50929d.jpg

powerlifter405

Reaction score
:whs:

If you just installed the injectors expect a lot of rough running, etc.. until all the air is out of the oil and fuel system. On my 02 it took me about 10-15 tries to get it to turn over and stay running.

Don't burn up your starter and have a battery charger and/or another vehicle jumping your truck to keep the batteries/amperage up if this is the case.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Does anybody cycle the key 5-6 times 30 seconds each anymore? Come on......

Bad_company

Reaction score
It was not right after putting them in... It was about two weeks after, it still does it. sorry it took so long to reply

Bad_company

Reaction score
No codes haven't checked to see if anything is stored. No miss runs strong. No rough idle. Haven't done the eye burning test Lol

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Does anybody cycle the key 5-6 times 30 seconds each anymore? Come on......

Thats not the magic # and it's presto start-up.

I had the same problem w/ my 02. I key cycled the sh$t out of it after the injector install and when I tried to turn it over, it still took a long time to finally run. It took several crank attempts before it finally caught. Then it ran rough for a while afterwards. Restarts took a little long before I got all the air out of the system.

There is air in both the oil system and the fuel system. Cycling the key won't do anything about air in the HPOP.

It was not right after putting them in... It was about two weeks after, it still does it. sorry it took so long to reply

My work trips were only 14 miles round trip so it took a few weeks to get the air out of the system before it quickly fired up and idled like it should. I probably went through a full tank of fuel to get it back to normal. IIRC from some injector builders, at least w/ the 7.3, you can expect to put up to a few hundred miles on it before all the air is worked out.

Good luck, hope it's something simple.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Seems we need to go back to school on initial injector start up and ridding air in the system.

For the fuel side, key on cycling to run the fuel pump needs to be done at least 6 times. For 30 seconds each time. Yes the pump shuts off well with in seconds but the extra time allows the air in the heads to rise up. This is where having a regulated return rules because any air is immediately pushed out into return and not dead headed. Yes upon the first start there will be minimal air in the fuel side, it will get caught in the injectors themselves but will quickly dissipate.

Many many times newbies in the shop will crank and crank til she fires and quickly dies out again and then they start rolling into the rolling rough run starts and continually die. After this it's hell to get it started now.

After the cycling on the fuel side, you've got 2 options with the HPO side. With the later models you can remove the ICP sensor and screw in a fitting with a hose that routes to the oil filter tube. Crank til you see oil then quickly remove the fitting, install ICP sensor and run for the key and start cranking. Now I only do that on a truck that's in the field where I don't have much juice for batteries. In the shop in crank til she fires, sometimes it's over a minute of crank time.

Yea I know right now your losing your **** cause I crank trucks for over a minute. But look at this... With the ICP sensor in and you cranking for 15 seconds does nothing, but the air that's being compressed inside the rail forces all that oil back out of the rail that you just cranked in... Now here's where you tell me there is a anti drain back in the feed tube that stops the oil from draining back. Wrong. That's just a snubber valve used to slow harmonics and pulses in the hydraulic system.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
So after I crank the piss ou of a truck and it fires, what's next... Well I let her idle til warm, where she bucks maybe 4 times due to some air in both systems. After that it's a 30 minute drive, easy at first then a few wot blasts. Ford spec is 12 wot blasts from like 0 to 60. That's a bit much IMO.

After that the system is perfectly bled. I get back to shop, shut it down let sit for a minute and see if she pops off hot, basically rechecking my work.

Starter life... I've never burnt up a starter, ever. In fact, if you've ever handled a VT365 you'll know international even States in their procedures that cranking the truck for a minute is perfectly fine.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I cant believe I type all that and no one is going to argue with me.... unbelievable...

:poke:

Bad_company

Reaction score
No... I tried to smell the white puff but it blew away before I could... I haven't tested the GPM yet either

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
were the injector bores properly cleaned and injectors torqued to right amount?

Bad_company

Reaction score
I got two new heads... I couldn't tell you if they were or not... The guy who did was highly recommend by a few guys I know... Couple of them have 700+HP trucks even never had an issue

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.