I got a new exhaust system

dasboot

Reaction score
Just got my AFE Atlas 4" no cat exhaust system. I can't wait until I get the truck up in the air to install it.
So what kind of fun do I look forward too? How many cigarettes , beers and dropping the f bomb will this take to install?
I think the only thing that I may have concern about is disconnecting and connecting the down pipe from the turbo. Any hints or something I should know before hand?

chris89

Reaction score
When I did mine I left all the clamps loose untill everything was fitted, worked out gOod for me.

ford rules

Reaction score
Down pipe isnt bad, but will probably be the hardest to get the stock DP off the flange I use an air hammer with a long chissle bit to rattle it loose other then that it shouldnt be bad.
Enjoy it!!

jdc753

Reaction score
Use some wd40 or similar on the down pipe clamp, I snapped the stud on mine being stupid, then a chisel or working it from below should get it free. Next problem is you either have to cut the down pipe in half or pull the transmission cross member to get it out. After that its all easy, leave everything loose until the end and adjust as necessary.

smokedout250

Reaction score
It's not bad. I cut my dp in half slipped it out. I had a 5" kit tho and no lift. Just laid on my back took only a couple hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Make sure you have WD40 or similar on hand to spray on the old rubber for the hangers, helps get the stock exhaust out.

jdc753

Reaction score
Make sure you have WD40 or similar on hand to spray on the old rubber for the hangers, helps get the stock exhaust out.

Yes, and also for pushing the new hangers in too.

I did mine in the driveway in about 3hrs of hardly working but also fighting to get the entire factory exhaust off in 1 piece. Truck was lifted 4" on 35's but I had to jack up the back end (by the hitch) to get enough room to get the tailpipe out in 1 piece. Also it was 28° out with snow on the ground, all my bundling made for good padding laying on the pavement.

bad moose

Reaction score
6 pack, sawzall, long sleeve shirt, penetrating oil. CUt down pipe in half and drag it out of there. Leave everything loose till you get the fit your happy with then start at turbo and work your way back. Laying on the garage floor on a 2wd trk took about two hours.

CCRICE

Reaction score
I had to cut the exhaust behind the back tire and the down pipe in half, but by the time I got to the back I was frustrated and air tool happy.. Wd40 for the runner hangers is a must. All in all an easy job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
The worst part when I did mine was the downpipe. I fought it and fought. Ended up cutting all the silver insulation sh!t off it and the it pretty much fell straight out the bottom.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
That's weird, I've worked on LOTS of trucks, and I've never had a single issue removing a downpipe. ALWAYS spray some penetrant on it first.

genuineford

Reaction score
That's weird, I've worked on LOTS of trucks, and I've never had a single issue removing a downpipe. ALWAYS spray some penetrant on it first.

Have you ever taken one out of an 03 with the foil wrap on it? Mine was a pain because of that. The foil wrap kept getting caught on the studs that stick out from the firewall. I ended up cutting all of the bands that hold the foil wrap off before I could get it out. Mind you I use to work at an exhaust shop and did this stuff every day for a while.

dasboot

Reaction score
I got it installed today :) awesome sound and seems to be more power. It took a bit more than thress hours and thanks to one of the guys at the shop that helped. I was able to lift it up on the Koni lifts and work on it. Removing the shock from the bottom at the axle and removing the trans cross bar, help me remove all the old pieces with out cutting. The only problem was the turbo clamp nut stripped and I had to find a replacement.

Latest posts

Members online