i know this has probably been covered 1000 times...

Jason

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick up a '97 single cab f250 5 speed, 4x4 for a song. Less than 200k miles, clean title $500.

Trans has a cracked case, truck spins over clesn and quick, but will not fire. Apparently, an ex gf put something in the tank, and truck was hauled to a shop, and fuel tanks were drained, everything was gone through, but could not get it to start. Guy I know bought it for grille, headlights, and hood for his '97 truck, and stuck it outside his shop til he figured out what to with it. So, outside of grille, headlights, and a hood..which gives me a reason to upgrade those items...what does a zf5, or zf6 usually go for used? Even needing rebuilt? I thought about auto swapping it, since it's something I wouldn't worry about driving for awhile..since it needs a transmission, I've got options. Would I need a 4wd e40d? Is the transfer case that came on the truck reusable??

Moving on to the motor...is it worth it to pull all 8 injectors out, and send them to be checked, and hope that new injectors, and some fuel system pieces could get it running again? Or should I just start over with another running 7.3 motor?? If I could pick one up for around $1000, throw a rebuild at it, and drop it in.

Not wanting to make a race truck, or show truck, or any bs like that, just get it clesned up, back on the road, and use it as a best around vehicle, something to commute back and forth to Dallas for work with. I figure for $500, there's really no going wrong with it. All of the interior is there, all of the body panels are there. Doors open/close smoothly, Iirc, it has around 180k miles on it, still has stock exhaust.

If I'm not planning on off-roading, lifting, etc..the ttb dana 50 should be fine, right? Wanna keep it stock height, maybe drop the rear a touch, and throw a 20" wheel with a 33" tire on it, or a 420 Nitto, since it'll just be a around town runner/highway commuter.

Thanks

dsberman94

Reaction score
There is or was a 4wd zf6 in the classifieds for 2000. Comes with all the parts you'd need to do a swap or you could sell off the rest. I could probably get it shipped for 100 or less, I'd have to ask.

psduser1

Reaction score
A good zf6 is 1500 all day long, plus clutch. Couldn't tell you on the 5s. I'd do some basic troubleshooting, compression, sensors, etc, then decide on the engine couple hundred to get the injectors checked out.
I'd say at that price, you can't go wrong.
A e4 is going to be 2-2500 for a basic rebuilt unit, unless you can just recast what you have.
Post pics when you get it.:ford:

bluedge8

Reaction score
I would check into fixing the existing motor before pulling it. and to make sure the fuel lines etc are clean. good luck

F350-6

Reaction score
97 had a ZF-5. If something was dumped in the fuel tank, I'd start by checking the fuel pressure. (use the schrader valve on the fuel bowl while cranking).

Shop couldn't find anything may or may not mean something. They may have just plugged it into the computer and said no codes means nothing's wrong. Or had an ICP code that came from fuel pressure and discovered a new sensor didn't fix it.

Jason

Reaction score
Sorry guys, been extremely busy. I know it is a zf5, but I don't know if it ismuch more hassle to swap a zf6 in place if I found a zf6 for a decent price. I don't know off hand what thedifference is between the two aside from an low gear, I am sure that final drive is the same. I'd really prefer an auto swap, but I think by thetime I did it right, buying an auto column, and auto cluster, pedal assembly, and I am assuming auto pcm..it would get waaaay expensive.

My plan with the motor, is to go through trial and error to get it started, and running as is, but eventually to do a complete rebuild on it. If I'm buying this, it's going to be something I keep for awhile. No 600hp builds, or stupid crap like that, just a refresh, and second lease on life for a obs 4x4 truck.

Where is the best place to buy interior pieces?? Dash, door panels, and everything else, really. I have a plan for seats and console, but this blue crap has got to go! I'd prefer gray, I am not sure if they made gray interior with manual windows, as blue is all I have ever seen with that setup, but good lord, blue is rough to be surrounded by all day.

Jason

Reaction score
Pic.

Attachments

• 20160123_111533.jpg
    20160123_111533.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61

mandkole

Reaction score
cool-- that's got some potential.

On the interior, that is something that Classic Industries needs to get on, wonder if Ford still has the tools. The OBSs will be a strong resto market. I think you're just gonna be on the hunt for wreckers, etc. Diesel Brad always seems to come across that stuff.

psduser1

Reaction score
If the body is solid, I could see that being a pretty nice ride!
Couple guys around here deal with them, just have to do some looking. As mentioned, diesel Brad seems to know where to look.

Arisley

Reaction score
Jason, I'm not being an asshole mod here at all. But unless you are planning on putting e-fuel on this thing, and maybe superduty brake system, I would suggest moving this to the OBS section. Us 99 and up guys are rusty on those mechanical fuel systems and those power booster with a belt driven vacuum pump things.

jngreen

Reaction score
See if it will fire on ether, that would let you know if it a fuel system issue or something else real quick. Heck, it might start and keep it going long enough for it to stay running. Remember that it has a mechanical fuel pump.

Jason

Reaction score
Jason, I'm not being an asshole mod here at all. But unless you are planning on putting e-fuel on this thing, and maybe superduty brake system, I would suggest moving this to the OBS section. Us 99 and up guys are rusty on those mechanical fuel systems and those power booster with a belt driven vacuum pump things.

Sht Andy, I just saw the 7.3 tech, and posted it there. I've only had super duty's, so this was my first thought. How do I move a thread?

Arisley

Reaction score
I can do that for you, no biggie. If you are planning on keeping it and running it, I would highly suggest E-fuel at least. Probably the newer brake system. Therefore leave it here. Get with TomS to get some good links on e-fuel.

Jason

Reaction score
If the body is solid, I could see that being a pretty nice ride!
Couple guys around here deal with them, just have to do some looking. As mentioned, diesel Brad seems to know where to look.

Yeah, body is solid, all interior is there. Basically, what I am wanting to do here is, when work picks back up at my company, I will be transferring to our Dallas terminal. I'll have to commute back and forth, and I really don't want to 1.) Put miles on my nicer, newer vehicles and 2.) Have to leave them there overnight while I work.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Beauty of the mechanical pump. Put a hose into a 5 gallon fuel container and hook up a better and it will fire on a stand. Brad did that in front of me one day when I went to his place for something. Engine fired right off and ran in his garage until he disconnected the battery.

Latest posts

Members online