I need some AC help...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Core? Meaning the ???

I picked up the gauges a few minutes ago, once this rain squal passes I will go check the pressures.

What should the high and low be ideally?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Got some gauges...

Took some readings...

Added 12oz, didnt come up much. Going back to Auto Zone to buy a big can...

It was at the low end of where it should be... At least as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• Low Pressure.JPG
    Low Pressure.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 75
  • High Pressure 1.JPG
    High Pressure 1.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 68

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Ok, added another 18 oz... Now its up to about 35psi on the low side and 220 or so on the high side...

Reading something on another site I came across this,

http://springerpop.net/F350/air_gap.html

which made me check it... .049... Over twice what it should be.

So tomorrow I am going to adjust this gap. Try and bring it into spec or close to it.

I think I am making progress for sure! Temp drop will be interesting tomorrow.

bbbxcursion

Reaction score
With those pressures, take the vent temp and report back. Should be cold with those pressures. The compressor and condensor are both working well.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
It was at 35 or so after I added the first 12oz. But it was also cooler after the rain, 70* or so.

If I could get it blowing at 38*-40* at 95* I would be stoked.

I got to say, this AC stuff is not as bad as I thought it would be. The gauges help a TON!

Arisley

Reaction score
The clutches have shims spacing them out. I pulled some out a couple years ago, (it was cutting out when I hit the throttle, like it was slipping), been doing good since. I think it is getting close to time to replace the clutch.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Every system is different joe, but i think you got a handle on it, you didnt run into anything too complicated

For instance sometimes you will hook up gauges and you will read a vacuum on the low side, sometimes its a low charge, sometimes its a restriction, then finding the restriction can be interesting LOL

But im glad to see you got a hold on it, a/c scares people so bad, but its really not bad at all, i actually enjoy a/c work honestly.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
One thing that I dont understand...

If I hook up the gauges with the motor off, and open the valves, the low side will be VERY high! VERY!!!

Is that a problem, or normal?

zilla68

Reaction score
over on psn there is a sticky about a/c and it shows where and how to access the evap core, its in the black box on passenger side under the hood. When I was trying to replace the dryer the threads on the evap core were galled so I had to replace the evap core. When I pulled mine out it had mud and debris on it and a big blow pop sucker wrapper stuck right in the middle.
The box is easy to remove and the evap core is easy to clean, check it out, you'd be surprised by what shows up in there.

side note, what is your outside ambient temp and humidity level when you check your pressures?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Adjusted the AC clutch gap now too... It was at .049 and now its at .018, just a bit tighter then spec. Working much better, still needs another can of product, but a new starter last night ate any extra money I have right now.

bazdog1

Reaction score
What is the full freon charge for your truck? How much have you added?

All of those cans of freon from the parts store probably add up to more than your system is supposed to hold. plus it was working ok before you started adding more to the system so you had at least some freon in there. you are probably overcharged and have a slight restriction in the system, or the evaporator has trash and debris in it.

Outside airtemps have no effect on temps coming out of the vents. (assuming the condenser is clean and fan is working correctly) inside the cab temperature is what has an effect on supply air temperatures.

It sounds like you have a handle on it, but you are shooting blind by not knowing how much freon is in the system. Those gauges are only showing you half of what you need to know.

I live in the Denver area, I might be able to help if you are around this way.

bazdog1

Reaction score
I just re-read this thread, and if all the facts are correct, you are severely overcharged.

Somebody said that 2lb is a full charge. You had pressure in your system already and you added a 12oz can and 18oz can of freon. That is 30oz. 2lb=32oz. If your a/c was working before, even a little, you probably had at least a pound in the system. Not good.

If you have a partially restricted orifice, your freon pressures will act just like this. If you have a dirty evaporator (air side), your pressures will act just like this.

I would verify what the full charge is. There should be a sticker or something by the compressor that says what the charge should be. Adding more freon is not the answer.:badidea:

JLDickmon

Reaction score
I just re-read this thread, and if all the facts are correct, you are severely overcharged.

Somebody said that 2lb is a full charge. You had pressure in your system already and you added a 12oz can and 18oz can of freon. That is 30oz. 2lb=32oz. If your a/c was working before, even a little, you probably had at least a pound in the system. Not good.

If you have a partially restricted orifice, your freon pressures will act just like this. If you have a dirty evaporator (air side), your pressures will act just like this.

I would verify what the full charge is. There should be a sticker or something by the compressor that says what the charge should be. Adding more freon is not the answer.:badidea:

Nah, he's good. Ford had a TSB out on an updated capacity nearly a decade ago.
Plus, if you look at his pressures on like page 4, it was 95* out and he's barely making 200 psi high side.. if it was an R12 system he'd be good, but and R134a setup at that ambient, he should be 225-250 for a crammed-in-with-a-stick full charge.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
LOL... AC is working great! Had a High pressure switch issue but I fixed that as well... Right now when cruising down the road I am getting a nice cool 34-38* out of the vents...

Parked on a 90*+ day I am getting 40-42*...

Latest posts