IC and trans cooler installed

alradco

Reaction score
Unfortunately my truck is usually the last to get some attention with everything we've got going on but I finally got to do a few upgrades on my 02 7.3 this week. This week we finally installed our Alradco intercooler on our 7.3 and hooked up the trans cooler in our Alradco radiator. I kind of feel bad as our own truck is always on the back burner for everything.

I pulled a small load today, was about 15k-16k gross combined. EGT's were way down over stock 100-200 degrees depending on the situation. On the freeway for example at speed limit temps were about 100 degrees lower. Pulling small grades temps were up to 200 degrees lower.

We also hooked up the trans cooler on our Alradco radiator. Before at low speeds I would see temps from 180-210 degrees on the trans. Today I couldn't get the trans over 150 degrees.

I'm looking forward to hooking up the big trailer and see how everything does.
Next up on the install list is a T500 hpop. I'm also kicking around the idea of doing a 38r and injectors at the same time.

A few pics.

On the highway at a slight incline today.

2lcpwtc.jpg

The family tow rig.

15q468k.jpg

The bigger trailer.

34sgggl.jpg

Peter

alradco

Reaction score
Any pics of the install?

I didn't take any during install but I can take some pics of it done.
Also this was accelerating up a slight incline, normally would have been 1000+ degree territory for my truck.

iyzafl.jpg

I'll take some pics of everything done.

alradco

Reaction score
Are you running stock injectors and turbo now?

Yes. Truck basically has a dp tuner, exhaust, intake, lift, 37's, AMP steps, OUO traction bars and of course ALRADCO radiator & intercooler. Maybe a few things I'm forgetting.

Edit: Also has a built trans with a billet converter

Last edited:

alradco

Reaction score
I am running a factory 7.3 IC in my OBS truck. Is your IC for the 7.3 the same dimensions and utilize the same mounts as the factory one? I'm more concerned with the thickness as I have a 6.0 trans cooler and IC.

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140448

Billy T.
[email protected]

Hey Billy. The IC uses factory mounts and is almost the same except for the thickness. Here's some pics and review on a 6.0 SD. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50079&highlight=alradco

Any questions just let me know. Thanks.

Peter

gnxtc2

Reaction score
This is my issue:

I definitely can't go rearward and I might be able to cut the crossbar on the header out leaving the corners in for the grille. If the inlet/outlet of the IC land where the tabs are on, then it's a no go.

What are the dimensions of the IC?

DSC_0027_zps59ef36ca.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

alradco

Reaction score
This is my issue:

I definitely can't go rearward and I might be able to cut the crossbar on the header out leaving the corners in for the grille. If the inlet/outlet of the IC land where the tabs are on, then it's a no go.

What are the dimensions of the IC?

DSC_0027_zps59ef36ca.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sorry Billy. Time got the better of me. Our intercooler mounts just like stock. The I/O is same location as stock. A buddy of mine that has an OBS with a 12v swap fit the bigger version of this intercooler in his truck, that one was about 5" thick, this one is about 3".

Give me a call or send me a PM if you want, I'm sure we can work something out. BTW, how's the GN? Mine is still welded to the chassis table :(

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Sorry Billy. Time got the better of me. Our intercooler mounts just like stock. The I/O is same location as stock. A buddy of mine that has an OBS with a 12v swap fit the bigger version of this intercooler in his truck, that one was about 5" thick, this one is about 3".

Give me a call or send me a PM if you want, I'm sure we can work something out. BTW, how's the GN? Mine is still welded to the chassis table :(

Yea, a 5" one will definitely not work. When I get back my truck from my chassis guy (re-doing the T4 downpipe), I'll take some measurements and give you a call.

I converted the GN to a coilover suspension and need to scale it.

Billy T.
[email protected]

alradco

Reaction score
Here's a pic from today, this grade is about 10-12% pulling just a small utility trailer. Combined weight probably no more than 13k. Doing about 55mph which is speed limit.

2isbfbk.jpg

Latest posts

Members online