ICP - IPR relationship q's

444whitehorse

Reaction score
So, I'll start out by saying I'm fairly certain that I have a bad ICP. I have oil in the plug socket, and up until tonight, unplugging the ICP would allow the truck to continue to start hot. I would plug it back in and go on about my day until my next stop, rinse and repeat 5-7 times a day for the last 3 days.

Last Thursday, I encountered a hot no start for the first time, which was unaffected by unplugging the ICP. Knowing that my truck is 20 years old, with 317k now, I figured the original IPR was due for replacement. Sunday, I addressed that, as well as a new 17* hpop that I had on the shelf looking for an excuse to put in. I did the hpop and IPR knowing that my ICP was most likely bad as well, but unable to do anything about it due to prior obligations. Getting the ol girl running and up to temp confirmed a continued hot start issue, that was mildly alleviated by unplugging the ICP. I'll also note that the little metal clip is missing off my IPR plug end, I'm addressing that as well as stripping out the fuel bowl wiring this weekend. A new pigtail and ICP sensor will be on the way post haste once I hit the bank tomorrow.

So, tonight on my way through the city coming home, my cel pops on. I thought I'd stop by oriellys, and see if by some off chance the new fangled scan tool they just got will read my truck. Well, it did something but it sure didn't read it. When I hooked it up, and it went into auto detect, it sent my truck into a fit of bucking and loping. It cleared the cel, without informing it to do so as well. Chocked it up to not gonna work, couldn't pull a code or nothing (of course). Get home, shut down(didn't shut the truck down at all before hand) and grab some coffee and then I'm off to my supply house to restock materials and equipment. Go back out to start the truck up, pop the hood and unhook my ICP, and no start. Not even an attempt to think about starting. Have WTS light, plenty of cranking speed visible in the tach and lpop gauge snaps to half mast at about the 3rd rev. Also oil is fresh, about 500 miles on it.

Is it possible, that running a bad ICP on a new IPR, could make the IPR go bad again?

Fat fingered using Tapatalk.

Latest posts

Members online