Idle with 160/30 Injectors

darkside708

Reaction score
Ever since I put in my 160/30 Injectors in November, I've been curious if it idles right. I'm guessing I might just be paranoid. But anyways, here's a short vid of the exhaust at idle... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152474696161521&l=9000490989226928703 Is that normal? Has a little bit more of a lope then it did with stock injectors. PHP tunes. It was up to normal operating temp, after driving it for probably an hour or so. No issues what so ever. Like I said, maybe I'm just paranoid since this is my first experience with an aftermarket injector. Thanks.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sounds kinda ****ed up to me. But lots of peoples trucks idle like shti.

What pcm code do you have? Bills tunes never idled like that for me. Choppuly idle after the truck is warm is usually indicative of a hpo issue. Dumb question but did you get tunes written specifically for those injectors?

darkside708

Reaction score
Can't remember the pcm code exactly. All I can remember is I think it started with a V. My pump is actually getting a little weak. I have a honey badger jr ready to go in. And yup, the tunes were written specifically for the injectors.

darkside708

Reaction score
Totally forgot to mention that it does idle a little smoother when cold. Nope, they were not built from my factory ones.

thuglike

Reaction score
A table or 2 may need to be tweeked but it is not bad at all IMO.

I would not worry about it until all the parts are in and then dial it in.

darkside708

Reaction score
Well it's a good thing my jr. showed up on tuesday lol.

Can you monitor icp and duty cycle at idle? also wondering what the pw is set at.

Yeah I got a aeroforce scan gauge in the truck. Ill post back tomorrow. What do you mean by pw? Thanks Jason. I really wish I could get this thing live tuned.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well it's a good thing my jr. showed up on tuesday lol.

Yeah I got a aeroforce scan gauge in the truck. Ill post back tomorrow. What do you mean by pw? Thanks Jason. I really wish I could get this thing live tuned.

pw means pulse width. live tunes are where its at for sure!! i dont do facebook so i didn't even try the vid but if you ever get near a obs, listen to it at idle then start yours.. it will sound the same unless yours is messed up. my two 7.3s don't sound the same.

darkside708

Reaction score
Oh okay. I got a buddy with an obs and stage ones. Haven't heard it in over a year though so I don't really remember.

mandkole

Reaction score
A sure sign of a weakening pump....no doubt

Hmmm... you should have a good engineering explanation for why that idle directed you to a pump issue. Im interested.

I agree, its not bad but certainly not smooth (and the OP quickly noticed it). Tuning may possibly help but Ive heard my share of older injectors with the same hot idle lope. Hot idle often highlights a balance issue driven by one or 2 with weaker IP.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hmmm... you should have a good engineering explanation for why that idle directed you to a pump issue. Im interested.

I agree, its not bad but certainly not smooth (and the OP quickly noticed it). Tuning may possibly help but Ive heard my share of older injectors with the same hot idle lope. Hot idle often highlights a balance issue driven by one or 2 with weaker IP.

as oil gets hotter and thinner and pump fluctuates more.. also a sign of a bad ipr. but also could be what you said..

op needs to monitor icp while cold and as it warms up, see what its doing then and if it bounces around a lot..... i had similar issues after i did injectors and hpop in the dually and the ipr did help it but live tunes is what finally straightened it out.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
my 350 200s without chip idled smoother then that.
sounds mean tho haha

mandkole

Reaction score
Agreed, but the pump doesnt care-- its shaft is just spinning and its supplying volume at a constant rate. The IPR is the gate. Assuming fresh orings and a good installation that didnt cause issues, Im simply going back to the OPs note that his old injectors didnt lope.

Pumps get blamed a lot and calling the current pump weak just needs a solid explanation.. and I'm listening.

firehunter

Reaction score
FWIW, I do not have a facebook account so it wouldn't let me see the video but I DO have a hot idle lope with these injectors similar to what the written posts are describing. Same size injectors but different builder (Unlimited) and different tuner (Gearhead). Exactly as the OP describes, after a long sustained drive like setting the cruise control on the interstate for an hour or so, let the engine slow the truck down on the off-ramp, come to a stop at the stop light and a hot idle lope that doesn't necessarily shake the whole truck but enough to rock the gearshift (6-speed) and feel it in the seat.

I installed these injectors almost 30K miles ago, have replaced almost every sensor, installed a FRx, replaced up pipes with bellowed, and performed a compression test (great numbers), but have the original HPOP and IPR with 223K on them. I too would like to hear about the HPOP or IPR connection to these issues. Thanks!

On edit: Matt knows about the issues, my third set of tunes are on the way (love the Hydra!), and no, I do not have AE or a scangauge.

thuglike

Reaction score

Sorry my previous post was vague...I believe the idle I heard can be tuned out. I would say it's a tuning issue above all else.
The only reason I mentiond a possible pump issue was a comment the op made about the idle getting worse as the oil got hotter, I should even expand that to include all of the components of the high pressue side. Since the injectors are new the next culprit is the pump in regards to the specific "issues" mentioned. That is why I asked for the icp/duty cycle..Did I mention how I hate the high pressure oil side of these things.

Latest posts

Members online