Idm/modded idm? ????

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Ok so ive been doing some reserch. My truck is cranking with no start. No smoke nothing. Even on starter fluid it wont fire. Mabye my idm is junk.

What does it do?
Whats the benifits of a modded one?
Who should i go with for a replacement.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

davey99ps

Reaction score
Even if the idm is bad, it would still pop a little on ether. Also, if you use the search feature at the top of the page, there's a few threads on modded idm's already that should tell you all you need to know

CSIPSD

Reaction score
If it will not run on starter fluid you have serious issues. I have had a truck run with two cracked pistons on starter fluid.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
If it wont start with Starter fluid, then its NOT electrical PERIOD.

Its Major mechaical.

Now if it wont stay running after giving it starter fluid then it could be something else, but you stated it will not start.

Be clear, if you want good help on the internet.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
No it will not fire at all. My throttle quit working. I put a new switch in. Tried to drive it home. It took off fine. The smoke started thinning like it usually does when build boost. The it started cutting out and puffing white. And died. Now nothing. I thought mabye the ecu fried and thats y i cant even start it on fluid.

Now im completly lost.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
No it will not fire at all. My throttle quit working. I put a new switch in. Tried to drive it home. It took off fine. The smoke started thinning like it usually does when build boost. The it started cutting out and puffing white. And died. Now nothing. I thought mabye the ecu fried and thats y i cant even start it on fluid.

Now im completly lost.

have you even bothered checking the compression?
The 7.3 is soooo easy to do the basic run of the mill testing for problems.

There are several threads on checking the IDM both here and PSN.

Before you start throwing $$ at it check your fuel pressure, check the continuity of the IDM w/ the IDM check list, etc.

But like it was said, if it won't even turn over, I'm thinking no compression or something mechanical failure internally.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Ether only needs some compression to start. No fuel no GP's no problem. If its getting air and even a tiny bit of compression it will start. Is there a squirrels nest in the intake? Seriously.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
I have the intake off. I was spraying directly into the turbo. I had plans of pulling that valve cover. But the truck pissed me off and its sitting in a snow drift right now.

I want to start working on it again. And need somedirection. Im an ase cirtified tech. And a welder fabricatir by trade. So i know my way around a garage. But being my first diesel. I couldnt be more lost.

Arisley

Reaction score
Start by pulling the valve covers and looking for something broken. If it all looks OK, pull all the glow plugs and do a compression test.

Like Joe says, if it won't fire on ether, you have a real problem.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Start by pulling the valve covers and looking for something broken. If it all looks OK, pull all the glow plugs and do a compression test.

Like Joe says, if it won't fire on ether, you have a real problem.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

Exactly! Either the starting fluid isn't making its way to the cylinders or you have no compression (holes in pistons, broken rods, etc..). The first place I'd start would be pulling the valve covers off and checking compression. I'm not positive, but you can probably rent a compression gauge from autozone or advance if your short on cash, otherwise I'd just buy 1, they're not super expensive an they're nice to have around

Arisley

Reaction score
Most of the ones at parts houses are made for gassers. You will peg the gauge using it for diesel.

You can pick one up at Harbor Freight for pretty cheap.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Most of the ones at parts houses are made for gassers. You will peg the gauge using it for diesel.

You can pick one up at Harbor Freight for pretty cheap.

I've never rented 1 from a parts house cuz I got my own, I just assumed they'd have 1 that went high enough

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Yea i have a few guages. What kind of compression are we talking about? Like how high?

yotaneck13

Reaction score
So valvecover will be off this weekend sometime hopefully

Latest posts

Members online