ids issues with tuned truck

dieseljunky22

Reaction score
At work today and connected the ids to turn off my tpms sensors and recalibrate my speedo for tire size and pull my door lock code when I went to connect ids wouldn't recognize my PCM curious if any body else ran into this problem. Do I need to flash back to stock and try again or am I Sol?

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I had the same problem about 2 months ago.

Truck was in for the reverse delay trans fix and I wanted the latest software loaded.

They were never able to get it to work.

I completely unplugged the minimax
I returned it to stock
I even went to far as to dissconnect the Kenwood stereo since that can interfere with odbc11.

No luck.

Still looking for a solution, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

My truck is running fine, so no issues really other than wanting 2yr newer software.

H&S Bentley

Reaction score
Aftermarket software should really never interfere with the factory programming tools. When an aftermarket company reprograms the ECM/TCM/etc, they utilize an OEM file as a base starting point. Nothing in the process of modifying the files should ever cause the OEM tool to not be able to communicate.

Most commonly there are other aftermarket parts (Edge module, Banks module, Stereo system that monitors CAN) on the truck that are causing CAN communication issues. Either that or the dealer does not know how to use their IDS (or it needs an update).

As far as I know, you cannot use the IDS to modify or turn off the TPMS thresholds. There was at one point a long time ago that they did allow this, but FOMOCO has since had it removed from the IDS software.

Also, a little info on updating ECM or TCM software. When H&S products are installed on your vehicle, we use a generic base calibration file. This tuning file will NOT be the latest from Ford and it WILL overwrite any updated files that you currently have on the ECM or TCM. The only way you could get the updated TCM file and keep it while running an H&S product is to install the H&S tuning and select "NO" when prompted about transmission tuning. There are many reasons that the aftermarket is forced to use specific base tuning files instead of tuning every tuning file. The most logical is simply that it is nearly impossible to keep up with all the files Ford has released. Currently on the 11-14 Power Stroke we have knowledge of around 340 calibration files. To attempt to maintain a full database off all of those files in a tuned format would be an astronomical amount of maintenance.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
At work today and connected the ids to turn off my tpms sensors and recalibrate my speedo for tire size and pull my door lock code when I went to connect ids wouldn't recognize my PCM curious if any body else ran into this problem. Do I need to flash back to stock and try again or am I Sol?

I had the same problem about 2 months ago.

Truck was in for the reverse delay trans fix and I wanted the latest software loaded.

They were never able to get it to work.

I completely unplugged the minimax
I returned it to stock
I even went to far as to dissconnect the Kenwood stereo since that can interfere with odbc11.

No luck.

Still looking for a solution, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

My truck is running fine, so no issues really other than wanting 2yr newer software.

I also have this problem but the truck has a spartan instead of the H&S. Took the truck to the dealer to put a new turbo on it. Dealer calls me and tells me IDS doesn't want to communicate with the truck. I went down there drove the truck back home put the stock exhaust back on re flashed back to stock and took it back up. After that all was well IDS worked and they fixed the truck. So at least i'm not the only one with this problem.

dieseljunky22

Reaction score
Mine is a spartan too and h&s guy you are wrong on tpms statement up to date IDS will disable tpms or change air levels to desired levels customers want.

dieseljunky22

Reaction score
extremely easy with IDS enter module reprograming from drop down toolbox and enter programmable parameters select tire pressure monitor system it will open a new page and in that page you have a option to disable enable or change min air level for front and rear tires. I hope to have a video up later for all the none believers. I only know this so well because we have a lot of farmers that come to the dealership I work at that want the air level changed for rear tires because they don't like running 80 psi on there 350s

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
You have to know what data to change and what to change it to.

I turned tpms off on a 2011 with IDS v90. So it can be done.

The later versions of IDS actually make it easier to turn off - believe it or not.

Whoever said it is correct in saying there is no point and shoot option to turn it off, but it can still be done.

webb06

Reaction score
extremely easy with IDS enter module reprograming from drop down toolbox and enter programmable parameters select tire pressure monitor system it will open a new page and in that page you have a option to disable enable or change min air level for front and rear tires. I hope to have a video up later for all the none believers. I only know this so well because we have a lot of farmers that come to the dealership I work at that want the air level changed for rear tires because they don't like running 80 psi on there 350s

What version of IDS?

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
Strange question for you guys. Can IDS be used JUST to reflash the BodyControlModule and nothing else? I need to reflash my BCM..

Reaction score
A dealer saying "we can't connect to this truck" is code for we don't know how to use our IDS.

I've had at least a half dozen 6.4s and 6.7s brought to me from dealerships because they couldn't get into them. I'm not sure why their IDS is such a pile but mine gets into every one first try. Some of them are totally stock, others have street tuners or deletes. Never had to flash back to stock.

I did have one 6.4 that was h&s tuned that had the BCM die. Not sure why but after that even though the H&S would say it was programming it wouldn't actually change anything on the truck. Returned to stock on the H&S, installed new BCM, flashed all modules with IDS, updated the H&S, and then loaded it back into the truck. Everything worked after that.

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
Mine is a spartan too and h&s guy you are wrong on tpms statement up to date IDS will disable tpms or change air levels to desired levels customers want.

That is not a bold statement since it is true.

The IDS still can lower the TPMS threshold. My dealer just got done lowering the TPMS on my '15, I don't need 80 in the rear tires all the time. Also had the dealer do my '11 when I bought it. Besides all the TPMS is there for is to let us know we have a leaking/flat tire, if the air gets down to lets say 50psi and the TPMS light comes on you know you have a problem. Also it does not hurt to check tire air pressure once in a while anyway.

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
I've got my hands on a computer with the latest version of ids. I have used this computer a few times to connect to my truck in the past. I am now running into the issue that it won't connect to my pcm. When I used it before, I was running custom tunes on a s c t x 4. Now running s p a r t a n n_gauge and this is happening. Contemplating tuning back to stock real quick to get it to connect and see if that works.

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Everytime I try to connect I get this. I even tried manually putting the vin in. Didn't work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 110

Latest posts

Members online