IH water pump swap

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ok. First of.all, FUUUUUUUUUKK! Second of all, ***KKKKKKMKKK!!

Now to.get.down to business. I should have checked closer, but couldnt.find.dimensions anywhere. This mother fakkin pump will NOT work with dual.alternators. The outlet for the pump is right where alternator #2s pulley is. :doh: Its my fault but it still pisses me off.

I dont.wanna ditch an alternator to run a fuggin water pump. Ill double check but.theres no way its.gonna fit. I should.have realized that all the retrofits in the thread have been obs trucks. Not only that but dual alternators.:cursing:

Son of a bish!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Looks like there will be a nice water pump for.sale now. 99% sure there will be.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well guys. I screwed the pooch on this one. This pump is NOT gonna work. Im not even entertaining the idea of.ditching.my secondary alternator for a water pump.

If you've got a superduty with a single alternator or an obs this will work. So if anyone.wants.all the parts to do this on an obs or superduty with a single.alt, let me.know. Ill.make ya a deal.

Ive got:
Pump
Fittings
International 195° tstat
Water outlet
Wix filter with sca's(coolant.additives)
New international bolts
=355+shipping
This stuff is brand new and unused. If you just want the pump, fittings, and tstat let me know. The water outlet and tstat are in the pump right now so Id.prefer to leave it assembled as its painted and it'll.get scratched to hell if I disassemble it.

Make an offer if you want it. Ill start a thread in the sale.section soon too.

TARM

Reaction score
I would take everything but the pump. I do not really need the filter with SCAs but will take if from you to save you the loss. I have been dragging my feet to get the bolts and and 45 degree fittings etc along with Tstat. So I will take everything but the pump. I am sorry I would take the pump if it was the actual alliant unit as I can return mine but I do not want to be the guinea pig on the pump. If I could be sure on the pump I would take it all off your hands as I know it sucks to have something like this happen after you have gone to all the trouble.

The main thing I am concerned with on the pump is the bearings quality and the seal. Cheapers pumps use cheaper seals and that is mainly why they go bad quick where as the top pumps use ceramic seals and that keeps the fluid out of the bearings and thus long life. If I knew that I would be GTG. I just do not want to be doing this over in 30K LOL

Hell if you can find out on the seal I might just take it off your hands. If not I will take the other stuff all of it less pump.

If you want I have a perfectly good standard super duty water pump with only 500 maybe 1000 miles on it I am swapping out for this IH setup. It was installed with a full flush and ELC swap. Its the OEM one the ones made by Airtex as I checked to be sure to be the best pump at the time but did not have the time to do this swap. Should have made the time then LOL Honestly I would send it to ya for the shipping if you are in a bind given what you laid out for the swap over.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would take everything but the pump. I do not really need the filter with SCAs but will take if from you to save you the loss. I have been dragging my feet to get the bolts and and 45 degree fittings etc along with Tstat. So I will take everything but the pump. I am sorry I would take the pump if it was the actual alliant unit as I can return mine but I do not want to be the guinea pig on the pump. If I could be sure on the pump I would take it all off your hands as I know it sucks to have something like this happen after you have gone to all the trouble.

The main thing I am concerned with on the pump is the bearings quality and the seal. Cheapers pumps use cheaper seals and that is mainly why they go bad quick where as the top pumps use ceramic seals and that keeps the fluid out of the bearings and thus long life. If I knew that I would be GTG. I just do not want to be doing this over in 30K LOL

Hell if you can find out on the seal I might just take it off your hands. If not I will take the other stuff all of it less pump.

If you want I have a perfectly good standard super duty water pump with only 500 maybe 1000 miles on it I am swapping out for this IH setup. It was installed with a full flush and ELC swap. Its the OEM one the ones made by Airtex as I checked to be sure to be the best pump at the time but did not have the time to do this swap. Should have made the time then LOL Honestly I would send it to ya for the shipping if you are in a bind given what you laid out for the swap over.

Im more.pissed that I was out there.in 100° weather today putting.this.together so I.could.take Tomas to the fireworks in "da-eees shruck" and let the little.stinker down. He goes nuts when he thinks we MIGHT take.the truck out.

In all honesty Tarm, you probably only need the 1/2npt x5/8 male barb 45deg fitting to hook the heater hose to. The "drain" on the degas bottle goes to a nipple on the bottom, pass side of the radiator. The piece of 1" hose is useful for that. The superduty cooling system routing only has three fittings you'll use1r)the tstat housing and hose that runs under the alternator and to the top nipple on the radiator. 2)the supply to.the water pump which on this IH pump is DIRECTLY in line with the lower radiator.connection(the larger nipple). This where the lower radiator hose typically used on a 24v cummins is used. That hose fits niice too! Third is the 45 deg 1/2"x5/8barb that you use in the long "nose" of the pump to make your heater connection. The other 5/8nptx1"barb isnt used on the sd(another oversight I committed) as our degas doesnt "tee" into anything. Additionally the two straight fittings arent of use for a superduty(or excursion in this case).

So you need a pump, a int'l tstat(195° is what arrived via the part number),and one.45° fitting in 5/8x1"barb. You can use 1" hose stock for the degas to radiator connection, 3' is sufficient.

If ya want Tarm, Id just trade ya all this stuff for a stock sd pump and thermostat. Ive got a new set of hoses for.that setup so Id.be good there. Otherwise, Im gonna try one of their regular ford chassis powerstroke waterpumps. Its 65 bucks or.something absurd like that. If it.lasts a year Ill be ok with the decision.
I know you are iffy on the pump but this way you'd really only be out the twenty minutes to pull the pump.

TARM

Reaction score
You have a deal sir. I think it only fair that I pay shipping for both ways. I will package my stuff up tomorrow. We can take care of info via PM. If you are OK with check for the shipping I will include it with the pump otherwise I can send it paypal if you need it that way.

Give me a few mins to clear out my PM box for the umpteenth time so I can get your PM.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Tarm- I.emailed the seller of the pumps asking.for the composition of.the.bearing and seals. We'll see what comes of.it.

Man, im bummed this wont.fit. Had a machinist buddy look at it and he was talking about.cutting.part of.the snout off and then tapping it for a.45° elbow to make it work but I.dont.really wanna hack it up.

I saw your.last post Tarm. That sounds fair. Honestly I just want someone to get some use out of it. Its beautiful.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
I sent you a PM and yes that is actually how I felt about you when I was reading it. Was planning on sending you my pump. If I had your setup the last thing I would want to do is to start hacking it all up. Then you need to grind primer paint to get things looking good.

I am starting to really clean up my engine bay. I have always kept it fairly clean as I hate oily grime on everything. But now I want to get things looking purdy. Painting IC piping, nice hosing, painting parts to factory colors I think to make things look clean but not like a show truck ie. hpop, alt, ac and pw etc. You get the idea I am sure.

TARM

Reaction score
Well thanks to TyCorr I got everything from him a few days ago and got it all installed. Went without a hitch.

For those doing the waters pump make sure you are using a tq wrench especially if you are the kind of person like likes things tight. The bolts only are suppose to be tq to 18lb. That isn't much and for my hand and arm its just snug. :D Same goes for those t-stat housing bolts.

BTW I did also think of one more significant positive for anyone that has had to pull the tstat housing off. The pump being made of cast iron. That means no more seized bolts from the galling between the alum pump body and steel bolts. Now both are of like hardness. I still use anti seize on all my bolts other than ones that have huge vibration or suspension parts. They get some form of loc-tite depending on what they are i.e. red or purple usually.

This is on a super duty so things are a little different and actually simpler.

The one pulley boss on the drivers side still has to be ground down. A bench or angle grinder will do just find. Take you time and add a bit of JB weld into the thread port and if you are giving it a coat of paint it will be completely hidden. I will likley do this when I get a chance. TyCorr took the time to rattle can the pump with a primer and then cast sliver color. I ground it down almost completely smooth and only nicked the paint a couple times. LOL

But for whatever reason on the Super duty the Fan pulley had plenty of clearance of the stamped model number so no need for any grinding there.

As per TyCorr comments: The only fitting you need is the one 45 degree for the heater hose. This is the only that normally is right in front of the HPOP gear access port along with your EBP sensor and line. It is now way off to the passenger side right above the lower outlet port of the pump. That is now way to the passenger side way under but inline with the AC pump. Plenty of clearance. Make sure you test fit the pump so you get the angle correct on the fitting as you are right next to the bottom front edge of the engine head. As long as you get it close you can adjust once its on but best to get it there before mounting it just in case.

You just need to replace the stock heater hose that is pre bent with some straight hose and thats it.

You will need a new heat hose because of this but the good new is there is no need for any other fittings or Ting into anything.

Those using the Top rad hose that goes around the belt instead of thru it this still fits fine no changes as the T stat housing is in the same position. Same goes with the original hose design as well. Anyone that doesn't know the one that goes around the belt is the one meant for dual alt setups. You can get it from most any of the auto parts warehouses. I got mine from Car Quest.

About the T-stat and housing. The Tstat I had had its own hard rubber gasket o-ring. Because of this there was no need or way to use the separate one you typically would with the housing. It fits well and I think this will actually seal much better than typical super duty pumps do. Possibly yet another benefit.

There had been mention how with the OBS there was not much room at all to access the filter. With the super duty from what I can tell this will not be an issue. There is nothing but open space around it on the super duty setup.

I did a few upgrades so I had the whole front pulled apart.

Melling Oil Pump
Hypermax Intercooler
6.0 Transmission Cooler
V10 Trans cooler installed for Fuel cooler (This was installed the way a number of OBS install them for trans use the bumper hole)
7.3 trans cooler swapping with the stock power steering cooler. I figure the extra cooling is a good idea with big tires and wheels.

I will see if I can take some pictures tomorrow of it all. I still have everything apart but the belt is on so that is all GTG. Just no bumper, grill, and the only thing still mounted up front is the AC condenser. LOL

But as far as the water pump swap part went. It was honestly no harder than doing a normal SD water pump install. The only part was the grinding of the pulley boss. You could do it with a dremel or other rotatry tool. Heck even a hack saw would work.

Other than that it all normal other than the change of the lower rad hose and heater hose. Also getting the IH length bolts for the pump. Its only a couple but I had all of them as TyCorr had already purchased them.

Also want to give a recommendation to doing business with TyCorr. Everything went 100% perfect. Could not have asked for a better dealing.

Now let me see about some pic. Want to try out my new Verizon Gallaxy III I just got a couple days ago from Pre ordering it to keep my unlimited data and still getting the upgrade discount. They are trying as hard as they can to get you to give it up.. On activation the guy kept trying to tell me I did not need it LOL

TARM

Reaction score
Someone had mentioned acces being tight. I thought it was on the obs. Oh well good to know.

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Maybe this is too early... But I would like to thank you Tarm for Putting excellent info of this site and fte. I took your international parts list to my local international dealer and it worked! I thought it was a trick because they usually want to sell you a truck instead of a part. Anyway (I'll get off my subpar local dealer bash) dry fit the pump looked good should have the few bolts they lacked tomorrow and hopefully finish it out by the weekend.(not in any rush) thanks again for the extra effort of listing part numbers and what not. Made this swap very slick so far.

Really the only question I have is there a non additive filter part number anybody has? Was hoping for a wix number or one I can cross to. I asked the parts guy at international but he was busy eating dead flies he found under his keyboard.

fatsix

Reaction score
What about this one for $185?
http://www.international-powerstroke-bus-parts.com/proddetail.php?prod=1831676C92_water_pump

New International T444E Water Pump, part number's 1831676C92, 1889249C91 or 1823669C92. Fits 1994,1995,1996,1997,1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003 International T444E (7.3L) . This is a new water pump.

International%20T444E%20Water%20Pump.jpg

International_T444E_Water_Pump_rear_view.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score

What about this one for $185?
http://www.international-powerstroke-bus-parts.com/proddetail.php?prod=1831676C92_water_pump

New International T444E Water Pump, part number's 1831676C92, 1889249C91 or 1823669C92. Fits 1994,1995,1996,1997,1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003 International T444E (7.3L) . This is a new water pump.

International%20T444E%20Water%20Pump.jpg

International_T444E_Water_Pump_rear_view.jpg

Similar deal right? I recommend absolute simply because I did business with them already.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Will a billet T-stat housing work with this?

Yea buddy! The thermostat housing is the same but a longer stemmed thermostat is required. The one I purchased from international was a 195°.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Might be doing this when ever one of them shet the bed... Hope its mine first, but I think the excursion was leaking... LOL

Latest posts

Members online