I'm guessing it's the starter?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Been between 5-10 degrees the last 2 days and wife drove the truck due to snow. She called today and said it wouldn't start......sounds to me like the starter is just spinning not catching at all to try and turn the motor over. My guess is the last 2 days of cold starts trashed the starter? My concern now is though with the key in on position is the constant whine sounding like it's coming from the rear of the truck? Now the truck is in a parking lot and wont start.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Any ideas? What's a good starter for these trucks? Motorcraft is $500, that seems ridiculous.

Zmann

Reaction score
a 6.4 starter is a good choice

you sure it's not the batteries ?

Zmann

Reaction score
the whining from the rear is interesting
the fuel pump should time out and shut down
after 20 seconds or so

Corys6.0

Reaction score
a 6.4 starter is a good choice

you sure it's not the batteries ?

It sounds like the starter is just spinning it doesn't even turn the motor over. From my research that can be batteries not giving the starter enough juice to catch correct? A 6.4 starter from Ford or Auto store? Anything from Ford is big money. I can save a bunch of money ordering from Tasca but time is slim now.

Atsah

Reaction score
Never had much luck using auto parts store starters myself, I would make sure your batteries are okay before I installed a new starter, the cold is a killer for a weak one or two....

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Never had much luck using auto parts store starters myself, I would make sure your batteries are okay before I installed a new starter, the cold is a killer for a weak one or two....

I'll pull both batteries and go have them tested. What's a good set of batteries you guys recommend? I feel like they're has to be a good starter out there for cheaper than the Motorcraft one for $500? Maybe I am wrong.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Motor craft are junk once they're a replacement and not the original. Odyssey is top of the line. Interstate is great. Most else is junk also.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Motor craft are junk once they're a replacement and not the original. Odyssey is top of the line. Interstate is great. Most else is junk also.

OK so Odyssey or Interstate Batteries? What CCA's should I get? I wanna get both at the same time. Any good ideas for a starter?

08Monster

Reaction score
OK so Odyssey or Interstate Batteries? What CCA's should I get? I wanna get both at the same time. Any good ideas for a starter?
Highest CCA you can fit. I have 1000s in my pickup. Optima red tops. CAT also makes a good battery with an unbeatable warranty that's 1000CCA.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
I am not an Optima fan due to multiple bad experiences
Autozone has a decent AGM that i run in all my vehicles now

agree get the highest CCA you have a choice of

i bought my 6.4 starter of of ebay so even if your batteries are the issue order up a low mile 6.4 and swap it out

dsberman94

Reaction score
Also I run part store starters. They're easy to change if they go bad. I wouldn't have had an issue with my last one had I not held it for over a minute straight last winter trying to start the truck in single digits without a block heater or glow plugs. It did fire eventually. Just make sure you get a lifetime warranty on it.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I am not an Optima fan due to multiple bad experiences
Autozone has a decent AGM that i run in all my vehicles now

agree get the highest CCA you have a choice of

i bought my 6.4 starter of of ebay so even if your batteries are the issue order up a low mile 6.4 and swap it out

AGM? 6.4 starter bolt right up? Looks like Amazon has cheap starters also.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It may just be the bendix. Take it to a starter guy locally. Parts store sells you shti. Ford is most likely shti.

If you cant afford an aftermarket "boutique" starter then find a guy who rebuilds starters and alternators. Typically they are under "auto electric repair".

Corys6.0

Reaction score
It may just be the bendix. Take it to a starter guy locally. Parts store sells you shti. Ford is most likely shti.

If you cant afford an aftermarket "boutique" starter then find a guy who rebuilds starters and alternators. Typically they are under "auto electric repair".

Got a link for this aftermarket starter you speak of? Everything I do on this truck I want it to be right.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well. Meangreen makes starters. Bd electrics used to make gear reduction starters. If you have a 6l, the 6.4l starter model spins the motor over another 300rpm quicker.

If you can find a mitsubishi starter they are always stout. I had one fir three years and it never degraded in performance but got burned up due to a short.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Should I get a 6.4 starter from NAPA? There is some cheap ones on Amazon. Mean Green looks good but that would take awhile to get.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you can't find a guy that builds them near you, id use the parts store as a last resort. If you need one, you need one.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well, just like hospitals, when you are in need of one, every hospital is your favorite.

If you're in a bind, go buy one and sort it out later.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.