In need of some intercooler tube advice

mind if I smoke

Reaction score
I keep blowing the hot side intercooler tube off.I was wanting to see if you guys have any ticks to keep that sucker on there. I upgraded to the bd intercooler boots but I still keep blowing them off.

sootie

Reaction score
clean both surfaces with an alcohol based cleaner that leaves no residue. spray hairspray on both surfaces before you put them together and use double clamps.

JGman141

Reaction score
I tried the hairspray trick and double clamps but it didn't hold. I ended up welding a small bead around the outside so the clamp has something to bit into, hasn't blown since and I push 50-55 psi.

windrunner408

Reaction score

alradco

Reaction score
Hairspray trick works well but you have to use something like aquanet. What intercooler are you using?

peixinho

Reaction score
for me the hairspray worked great but no one explained the process right. Here is how it worked best for me.

Clean the tube really good inside and out
clean the boot really good inside and out
Spray hairspray liberally! (that means a lot)
Spray on the inside of the tube
spray on the outside of the pipe
Put back together with the groove lined up
torque it down correctly
Bring the truck up to operating temp and take it easy for the first day
Let the truck sit overnight.
Now drive it hard

The hairspray will actually cook and turn hard. I sometimes have a hard time getting it off afterwards. Problem is most people spray it on there and the first thing they do is floor the truck before the hairspray dries and cooks on there.

Also I think people don't realize that the groove on the inside of the boot needs to match up with the groove in the charge pipe.

Hope that helps :ford:

JrStroker

Reaction score
Did it come off again? It popped Saturday night on him while he was racing me and I used the hairspray trick. I didn't know all the steps besides apply a lot of hair spray.

Merc82

Reaction score
I clean everything real good with brakeleen, and use Aquanet. As previously stated let it set up overnight. Worked great in my old potato gun and gives you a bitch'n hairdo as well.

mind if I smoke

Reaction score
Well I'm going to weld a small bead on the tube and double clamp them with the hair spray. This means that I will have to repaint and clear my tubes. Has anyone ever wraped there tubes the heat wrap. I've put .125" rubber on the tubes in certain areas to keep the extra lines from rubbing. But if I could wrap them I think they might look better and hold up better.

Latest posts

Members online