Injector cup question

TjMiller

Reaction score
Sending heads to machine shop for springs and valve job. Is it ok to hot tank the heads without removing the injector cups?
Also do they normally get replaced just because the heads are apart?

TjMiller

Reaction score
Did a search and saying that if they aren't bad don't mess with them, could have the new ones not seal properly. I see the tool is available, I am just worried about something going wrong with the install. Or is this a pretty easy procedure?

hucorey

Reaction score
Don't buy cheaper aftermarket. Get OEM cups. The aftermarket ones sometimes do not seat all the way to the bottom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

02BigD

Reaction score
Did a search and saying that if they aren't bad don't mess with them, could have the new ones not seal properly. I see the tool is available, I am just worried about something going wrong with the install. Or is this a pretty easy procedure?

It is a simple process with the tool and the proper additional items. There is no way I would have the heads off, and not replace them if they have any real mileage on their life. Just so much easier to resolve when stuff is already all apart.

TjMiller

Reaction score
I would remove the cups before they went to the hot tank.

I was thinking the same thing.. Only problem is that I don't have the tool and if I rent it who knows how long the heads will be at the machine shop before I get them back. How long do guys let you keep the rental tool? Any safe way to remove the old ones without the tool?

hucorey

Reaction score
Riffraff probably has the best design. They just charge ur credit card until u return it then credit your card.

TjMiller

Reaction score
Riffraff probably has the best design. They just charge ur credit card until u return it then credit your card.

Just checked Riff Raff website - $50 rental fee for 21 days. After 21 days they charge you $10 a day, after 30 days you keep the tool for $350.

hucorey

Reaction score
3 weeks....That should be plenty of time.

Hopefully. :what: mine took longer but the shop did the cups for me and they post presurre tested everything to verify the cups seated properly. It was only another $60.

TjMiller

Reaction score
3 weeks....That should be plenty of time.

Well.. 5 days to return ship cross country. Hopefully heads wont need new guides. Hopefully I don't need new valves. Hopefully the machine shop finishes it right away. That is if I want to pull the cups before they put the heads in the hot tank.
Cant you just knock the old ones out ?

TyCorr

Reaction score
If your heads are getting hot tanked, use a tap and pull them out. The red loctite should come out with the cups.

Cody

Reaction score
If your heads are getting hot tanked, use a tap and pull them out. The red loctite should come out with the cups.

This...

Or just have the machine shop replace them.. The guy that did my heads charged me $50 to replace them +cups

For $50 I wasn't going to mess with it let alone not have a "warranty" on the work done, plus he's done hundreds of sets of ford heads vs me doing one? No thanks some **** I'll leave to the pros

TjMiller

Reaction score
This...

Or just have the machine shop replace them.. The guy that did my heads charged me $50 to replace them +cups

For $50 I wasn't going to mess with it let alone not have a "warranty" on the work done, plus he's done hundreds of sets of ford heads vs me doing one? No thanks some **** I'll leave to the pros

I will give my machinist a call tomorrow, but Im gonna guess that he doesn't have the install tool and hasn't done thousands of cups. Anybody in south central NJ that does them?

TjMiller

Reaction score
This...

And the warranty wont be of much comfort for the fact that I will still be pulling the motor if there is a problem.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If your machinist gets confused on the brass injector sleeves, please find another.

Latest posts

Members online