Injector or stiction?

oilburner

Reaction score
For a while the truck (160,000 miles) has started hard and ran rough until it warmed up. After it warmed up, it ran fine. Thinking it might be stiction, I added hotshot's secret. It helped for about a week. I tried changing the oil at 3000 miles. Nothing changed. I put Restore in the engine oil. It helped a little bit. Switched to 5W40 Rotella synthetic. It helped a little bit. It is still rough. I took it to AutoZone. They hooked their code reader to it. No codes stored. Can it be bad injectors without codes?

Marty

Reaction score
Autozone won't be able to tell you what you need to know.

Like ^ he said you need a power balance test at a minimum.

Atsah

Reaction score
Could be injector trouble but here are a couple of things to check.. Battery voltage, FICM voltage.. From my experience with this problem with two trucks. If you have a little injector sticktion and a bad battery or a FICM that needs resoldering it magnifies the sticktion issue.. There is no magic liquid to put in your oil if you have low battery voltage or your FICM is not putting out 48V or one or more of your injectors need replacing.. REV -X oil additive does help if you have a sticktion issue "IF" everything else is working properly..

Jwarren

Reaction score
Sticking injectors don't throw codes becsuse ecm does not go into self diagnostic testing till eot is up to temp.

MorganY

Reaction score
you need to check the FICM condition, once that is out of the way. I have done 3 half shells in the last week, its a common problem. If the FICM checks out OK then you need an AE or have a shop run a power balance test like it was mentioned above.

Latest posts

Members online