Injector, right?

firehunter

Reaction score
Was towing today through some of the local mountains, certainly not the first time with this set up or on these roads. Engine runs great, strong, smooth, normal boost and EGT's when suddenly it loses power and we coast over to the side of the highway. As soon as I push in the clutch it dies. I call for family to bring my wife's 7.3 as we need to get our horses back to our house three hours away. Our other truck is delivered along with a buddy and trailer to take my truck back. I crank on the engine to load it on the trailer, it fires in normal amount of time, has a steady miss and is belching white smoke. It ran less than 60 seconds to get it on the trailer and there was raw fuel FLOWING from an exhaust connection at the downpipe. Left a small puddle on the trailer. Obviously, we did not run it again and it is still sitting on the trailer.

Injector nozzle? They are 80% nozzles with approximately 8K miles on them installed in April of this year.

I don't think o rings could do this?

No external leaks anywhere. Normal oil and coolant levels and no cross contamination.

Thoughts? Thanks to the family for the rescue 3 hours from home. Never happens in the driveway does it?!?

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Could be injector nozzle. Also slightly possible when installed if an injector is not seated all the way down and a proper seal is not made the bottom o ring (Orange) will hold off combustion heat for a period of time. I have seen this last anywhere from 300-1000 miles. But eventually the heat will burn that o ring and fuel pressure will overcome its ability to seal and pump straight #2 by the copper washer and into the cylinder.

Both will show the same symptoms. Honestly I have have had this happen many more times than a broken nozzle. I can count on one hand the # of broken nozzles since 2005 we have had to replace that we sent out.

Pull the injectors and see if one has a burnt black o ring where it used to be orange.

Good luck and if we can help let us know.

firehunter

Reaction score
OK, so an o-ring can cause this. I have towed with this setup plenty of times by before. EGT's never got over 1100, ever, but I did have sustained 1000* for maybe 6-7 minutes while pulling a hill when it happened. Was in 4th gear (6 speed) and only doing 40 mph, 2K rpm, around 20 psi boost when it lost power.

Thanks for the input even though they are not your injectors!

mandkole

Reaction score
X2 what tim said. Sorry to hear the troubles--it sucks to get a rig off the highway miles from home.

Fuel out the pipe? Thats a lot volume-- seems like more than just a nozzle. With a straight edge, look to see if one injector sits above the rest of them.

firehunter

Reaction score
Fuel was coming out from the downpipe to turbo connection. It does not seal perfectly when it is cool but seals good when warm. I had a tighter fit in the past but when the turbo got warm while pulling it actually broke the clamp.

I did the straight edge when I installed them. All of the old coppers were accounted for. I won't be able to pull the injectors for at least a week as we were headed out of town with the horses. I have been in phone contact with the vendor, got a return phone call this morning, they are interested in making it right even if it turns out to be my oops on the install. Good stuff.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Copper washer/o ring issue is my bet. 65 psi fuel straight into the cylinder is a lot of fuel. It's a common occurrence. We use a bit of lube on the copper to help hold them on during install. Not one complaint since.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
Possibly an injector just came loose? Had that happen once, hydro locked a cyclinder when I went to start from the fuel pumping right past the injector. Had same white smoke and raw fuel smell.

firehunter

Reaction score
Well, all of you are correct. Pulled the PS valve cover and found the hold down bolt for #5 "loose". Not finger loose but definitely not to full torque either. It is the hold down bolt that is right up against the heater box so I am guessing that is why I didn't get it tight enough. My bad.

The end result is as Tim said, burnt black o-ring where the orange one should be. I spent quite a bit of time this morning with a mirror and flashlight looking and cleaning the cup and only was able to find and remove a small portion of the copper washer. I "assume" the rest was melted/burnt/consumed or otherwise "gone"?

Use a little oven cleaner on the bottom of the injector, re-ring it, install it and be good to go? I hope?

Thanks all. Turns out this event was just the beginning of a terrible trip that I wish I had not taken. The good news is that the wife's 7.3 was able to finish the trip (2,000 miles) without issue - at least I got her truck right!

golfer

Reaction score
Well, all of you are correct. Pulled the PS valve cover and found the hold down bolt for #5 "loose". Not finger loose but definitely not to full torque either. It is the hold down bolt that is right up against the heater box so I am guessing that is why I didn't get it tight enough. My bad.

The end result is as Tim said, burnt black o-ring where the orange one should be. I spent quite a bit of time this morning with a mirror and flashlight looking and cleaning the cup and only was able to find and remove a small portion of the copper washer. I "assume" the rest was melted/burnt/consumed or otherwise "gone"?

Use a little oven cleaner on the bottom of the injector, re-ring it, install it and be good to go? I hope?

Thanks all. Turns out this event was just the beginning of a terrible trip that I wish I had not taken. The good news is that the wife's 7.3 was able to finish the trip (2,000 miles) without issue - at least I got her truck right!

chances are that the nozzle will need to be replaced...

9 out of 10 injector installations gone wrong like this will result in the nozzle orifices being 'clogged' from the fuel burning on outside of the injector...carbon actually gets into the orifices and can negatively affect the needle seal inside the nozzle...so it may dribble fuel in between injections, which can burn up a piston.

Latest posts

Members online