Injector swap

Short Bus

Reaction score
Ive got an 03 that needs new injectors, anything in particular I need to know or is it pretty straight forward? I've swapped a ton of 7.3 stuff but I'm new to the 6 oh no's and a little leary of this project.

stroker2

Reaction score
My dad replaced the ones on his 03. The injectors take longer to get to than a 7.3 but i believe it was basically the same process. I do think he had ro remove some sort of oil rail or something under the valve cover though. I may be mistaken though

genuineford

Reaction score
Pull the valve covers, pull oil rails, remove injectors, re-install injectors. It is pretty straight forward.

You have to take some stuff off to get to the valve covers but it isn't bad.

genuineford

Reaction score
You don't have to pull the oil rails all the way off you can just move them out of the way with the flex hose.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Its very straight forward... If youve done a 7.3 before youll figure it out quick.

I dont have any pointers, but im not mechanic and did it just fine after doing lots of 7.3 stuff

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
Be sure to clean all of the oil out of the injector hold-down holes before you torque the injectors. Use some Q-tips. The hardest part for me is getting the injector wire connectors out of the head.

a2elvis

Reaction score
Make sure the injector bore is clean, lube the orings on the injectors before installation.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Man this is a biotch, I have never seen such a cluster fock like this before. I think my TT 7.3 was easier to swap injectors in than this damn 6 liter.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Man this is a biotch, I have never seen such a cluster fock like this before. I think my TT 7.3 was easier to swap injectors in than this damn 6 liter.

Just because its close quarters? Its definitely something that will beat your hands up... but once FICM/IC pipes/Intake/valve covers are out of the way, its sort of staright forward if youve got the correct tools.

I wouldnt consider it to be fun though, my hands are always beat up afterwards

Short Bus

Reaction score
Got it all finished up yesterday. Once I finally got time to work on it the project wasn't that bad. Worst part was getting to the damn valve covers, once there the job was actually just as easy if not a little easier than an injector swap on a 7.3. I also added a 4" turbo back exhaust with muffler since this still had stock exhaust with a damn catalytic converter in it. Man the truck runs so much better now, it's no comparison to before even though it's stock inj and NO tune. The only down side is the damn turbo whistle might drive me nuts (2003 truck).

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Got it all finished up yesterday. Once I finally got time to work on it the project wasn't that bad. Worst part was getting to the damn valve covers, once there the job was actually just as easy if not a little easier than an injector swap on a 7.3. I also added a 4" turbo back exhaust with muffler since this still had stock exhaust with a damn catalytic converter in it. Man the truck runs so much better now, it's no comparison to before even though it's stock inj and NO tune. The only down side is the damn turbo whistle might drive me nuts (2003 truck).

I did the stock+ build from warran diesel, no tune, with an exhaust... it was a customers truck. Man o man did that thing pull hard in stock form. Glad you got it all finished up and running good. They do sound mean, even if the whistle is a little obnoxious

genuineford

Reaction score
If you think it is bad with a muffler you should try an 03 without a muffler. I actually felt bad for the people that drove next to me in the truck. It didn't take long for me to put a muffler on the truck.

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
I ran my 03 with no resonator, cat, or muffler for awhile with 5" and it was loud. I have since put the cat back on to kill some noise. Glad to hear the injector swap went easy. Id be easy on the truck for a few miles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.