Injector talk

Copracr

Reaction score
When someone refers to "200/30% hybrid injectors" or "175/146 single shot injectors" what do they mean?

I guess I just need a primer on injectors. Thanks

stroker2

Reaction score
a 175/146 is basically a stock injector that flows a little more fuel. it flows 175cc's and retains the stock 146 nozzle. It also retains the factory 7:1 injection ratio/7 parts oil and 1 part fuel.

Any hybrid such as the 200/30% has a 5:1 injection ratio. It flows 200cc's of fuel and the nozzle is 30% larger than stock which i believe is equivalent to a 173

stroker2

Reaction score
a 200/30% hybrid injector will use less high pressure oil than a regular 200/30% injector. Many guys choose this injector over a stage 2 (160/80%) so they dont have to put a larger hpop on in order to keep up with the injectors

Bushwakd

Reaction score
:whs: And to add a little bit more information to what he mentioned.

200cc fuel rate and 30% more flow than a stock "146" nozzle.
200cc/30% nozzle
175cc/146 (stock nozzle)

A hybrid injector is built by using an "A" code injector body with "B" code plunger and barrel.
"A" code injectors are what Navistar/International spec'd for the 7.3 Powerstroke and T444 engine.
"B" code injectors are what Navistar/International spec'd for the DT530 and 466 engine.

To take advantage of the extra fuel the injector can flow a custom tuned/programmed chip needs to be used to control all the required programming parameters.

Last edited:

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
:whs: And to add a little bit more information to what he mentioned.

200cc fuel rate and 30% more flow than a stock "146" nozzle.
200cc/30% nozzle
175cc/146 (stock nozzle)

A hybrid injector is built by using an "A" code injector body with "B" code plunger and barrel.
"A" code injectors are what Navistar/International spec'd for the 7.3 Powerstroke and T444 engine.
"B" code injectors are what Navistar/International spec'd for the DT530 and 466 engine.

To take advantage of the extra fuel the injector can flow a custom tuned/programmed chip needs to be used to control all the required programming parameters.

You need custom tunes no mater what when switching from a split shot injector

dietoremain

Reaction score
Single shots are also more fuel efficient, but they require less oil(all hybrids are going to be singles) and therefore can be run with a stock HPOP often.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
yes i do believe so there are only a few builders that will push non hybrid injectors of that size. I don't believe that your A code injectors will go up quite that high think the outer limit for them that i have seen is a 230cc. Lott seems to like the smaller B code injectors there is someone around here running B codes that is making pretty notable power out of them but the standard is usually Hybrids for what 90% of us want to do

Copracr

Reaction score
OK, then at what power levels do more than 175/146 stock injectors become needed? And is swiching to single shots on a stock motor a good idea? I'm running a turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, and a 6-pos chip. Would injectors increase my power or mpg's? or not needed at my level?

Copracr

Reaction score
Did single shots come factory on some truck? Where did they come from and could I find a set used somewhere and get some benefit?

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I think this should answer some of your questions a little bit of a read but plenty of good info in there.. And yes single shots came on the 94-97 powerstrokes with the 15 degree hpop this is one of the big differences motorwise in the OBS trucks and the newer 99.5-2003 super duties. When put in as hybrids they are more fuel efficient because it takes that much less oil to fire them.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27539

The OBS "stock" injectors would be a step backwards for you power wise now if you put them in as say a plain jane hybrid they are more beneficial. Stock OBS injectors only inject a maximum of 90cc of fuel per shot where as the super duties inject 140-143cc per shot..

Last edited:

Copracr

Reaction score
Excellent thread, thanks. I had to replace an injector at 170k and wondered what the code's broke down to.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
OK, then at what power levels do more than 175/146 stock injectors become needed? And is swiching to single shots on a stock motor a good idea? I'm running a turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, and a 6-pos chip. Would injectors increase my power or mpg's? or not needed at my level?

Would increase both some....

Johnny Chaos

Reaction score
OK newbie question....Can hybrids be used in a 94-97? If so, why don't more people use hybrids instead of stage 2's and a high performance hpop? I would think a hybrid would be a more economical/productive solution?

Sorry if this has already been beatin to death, I'm new and unclear on this?

golfer

Reaction score
OK newbie question....Can hybrids be used in a 94-97? If so, why don't more people use hybrids instead of stage 2's and a high performance hpop? I would think a hybrid would be a more economical/productive solution?

Sorry if this has already been beatin to death, I'm new and unclear on this?

In my opinion, smaller hybrid injs are the most cost effective way to produce decent power on any year 7.3L...since they use such a small amount of HPOil (40% more fuel for the same volume of HPOil).< so a "weak" HPOil pump can 'magically' become a veritable monster HPOP with the right injector choice.

on the 94-97 trucks...with the OEM/Mechanical fuel pump...any injector larger than 150-160cc's is going to most likely require a decent investment in an electric fuel system...

since hybrid injectors typically start @ 200cc's and go up from there...even though the hybrids use less HPOil than most stage 1 & 2 injs...they are still flowing >200cc's...so the fuel system upgrade would be a wise investment...to maximize the injector.

Latest posts

Members online