Injector torque problem

oilburner

Reaction score
I have a 2004. Took injectors out to sand spool valves. Came out fine. Went back in fine. Trying to torque to 28 ft lbs. Hand tightened with ratchet first. Set wrench to 28 ft lbs. Tried to torque. Before I even got too tight twisted off bit. Got another one-same thing. Tried the next injector. Same thing. Broke 4 bits. Got a snapon bit and tested my brand new torque wrench (2 milk jugs=16 lbs good to go). Got 6 torqued before that bit twisted. What gives? Why am I breaking torque bits at less than 28 ft lbs? It's not like I'm wrenching really hard. In fact I'm being almost too cautious. Help!

dzldoctor

Reaction score
If you are not straight when using a torx they will break? Are you using the longer style torx that clears the solenoid?

range91

Reaction score
24ft lbs is what mitchell states. I cant see a torx 40 breaking at 24ft lbs I use mac chrome 40s and havent ever had issues unless used with a impact.

Gary

Reaction score
Hows this milk jug calibration work ?? (2 milk jugs=16 lbs good to go). I'm thinking you have a torque wrench problem or like dr d says

oilburner

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have used short bits, short bits with an extension and long shank bits. Got 6 of them torqued. Used little power shop's specs 26 ft lbs. I have the last two on the on the passenger side. Called a diesel mech friend to get a 2in T30 from his snap on guy. He couldn't believe I was breaking bits and came over to see what was up. He looked at the bolt heads and thinks they are T30 plus heads. He has worked on alot of 7.3s and some 6.0s but never done injectors. Could that be part of the problem? I really just want to get this thing back together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have used short bits, short bits with an extension and long shank bits. Got 6 of them torqued. Used little power shop's specs 26 ft lbs. I have the last two on the on the passenger side. Called a diesel mech friend to get a 2in T30 from his snap on guy. He couldn't believe I was breaking bits and came over to see what was up. He looked at the bolt heads and thinks they are T30 plus heads. He has worked on alot of 7.3s and some 6.0s but never done injectors. Could that be part of the problem? I really just want to get this thing back together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Wtf is a t30 plus? I've never broke a bit and I have probably torqued 200 6.0 injectors

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

Lang

Reaction score
Think you should try a different torque wrench... And get that one calibrated

smokedout250

Reaction score
Man that's not right.... I did my Injectors twice.... And replaced 4 in between.... I haven't broken a bit or had a problem.... 28ftlbs isn't much at all.... Get your wrench checked make sure your getting a good straight pull on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilburner

Reaction score
Set the wrench to 16ftlbs take a piece of baling wire. Run the wire thrto u the adjustment knob to the full jugs. put the wrench on something torqued to more than 16ftlbs. The wrench should "break" when weight is applied.

Latest posts

Members online