Input on dana 80

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Well guys I'm looking for some ideas/opinions. I have recently bought a Dana 80 with a detroit locker, yukon axles, and lpw load cover. Now its from a dually NOT c&c so its a little wide. So my question is should I have the axle tubes cut and shortened or leave them and put spacers on the front to keep the width the same? I would really like to be able to use the same brakes from my 08, but this axle is from an 02 I think. I really dont want to do the spacers in the front, but I might consider it. So what are your thoughts? I bought this to keep the reliability up since I plan on pulling my truck some this year.

RamzTrk

Reaction score
Measure it from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface and do the same for stock and let us know. No one has ever measured both that I can find. It might not be that much wider. 02 dually axles are narrower then 08 dually axles and 08 SRW axle are wider then 02 SRW axles. Please measure both and let us know.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Measure it from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface and do the same for stock and let us know. No one has ever measured both that I can find. It might not be that much wider. 02 dually axles are narrower then 08 dually axles and 08 SRW axle are wider then 02 SRW axles. Please measure both and let us know.

Will do! I don't have it in hand yet but once I do I'll be measuring everything possible. I really hope its the same width.

Reaction score
Yeah people have measured them.... I've been over this it seems like a hinder times on here. A srw truck is 71" iirc. And a cab and chassis dana 80 is 71-72" I believe. A standard dually is like 75". The cab and chassis dana 80 once modified to fit correctly with the wider springs for a regular frame truck is a direct drop in. There is no real reason to change brakes from a lower capacity rear end with lower capacity brakes. And on top of that sterling axle parts do not swap with dana 80 parts. And if you get 05-newer dana 80 brake parts they do not fit an 04 or older dana 80. So really there is no good reason to change your brakes at all. Drop the whole 08 sterling out and bolt the whole 02 dana 80 in.

An I would shorten the tubes. But before that I would just sell it and use the money to buy the right width axle. By the one you have the tunes shortened and custom axles made you could have just the right width axle. And fwiw the cab and chassis dana 80's usually go for way less than regular dually axles. Like $600 or less.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You could easily have $500 in having a dually axle professionally narrowed at a driveline shop. Beside what you paid for it. And then you still couldn't buy off the shelf parts from any dealer in the country like if you had a standard cab and chassis axle.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Yeah people have measured them.... I've been over this it seems like a hinder times on here. A srw truck is 71" iirc. And a cab and chassis dana 80 is 71-72" I believe. A standard dually is like 75". The cab and chassis dana 80 once modified to fit correctly with the wider springs for a regular frame truck is a direct drop in. There is no real reason to change brakes from a lower capacity rear end with lower capacity brakes. And on top of that sterling axle parts do not swap with dana 80 parts. And if you get 05-newer dana 80 brake parts they do not fit an 04 or older dana 80. So really there is no good reason to change your brakes at all. Drop the whole 08 sterling out and bolt the whole 02 dana 80 in.

An I would shorten the tubes. But before that I would just sell it and use the money to buy the right width axle. By the one you have the tunes shortened and custom axles made you could have just the right width axle. And fwiw the cab and chassis dana 80's usually go for way less than regular dually axles. Like $600 or less.

My Dana 80 was out of a cab and chassis "so I was told" and it's wider than a sw

powerstroked08

Reaction score

Thanks Morgan! So I guess theres no chance they widened the axles 4 inches from 02 to 08 then haha!

Reaction score
My Dana 80 was out of a cab and chassis "so I was told" and it's wider than a sw

I had four of them ranging from 99-09 trucks and they all were within an inch (best I could measure) from a srw sterling in wheel mounting width. Did you have to move your spring perches out? Because if it just went in without moving them, you don't have a cab and chassis axle. Cab and chassis uses narrowed spring centers.

Thanks Morgan! So I guess theres no chance they widened the axles 4 inches from 02 to 08 then haha!

Not that I've ever seen. Sorry the ones I originally measured were early (99-04) but I also have one out of my 09 cab and chassis that is the same width of the early cab and chassis.

Reaction score
How much wider is it than a normal srw? They are like an inch wider overall but the standard with dually sticks out a LOT. Like half a tire width more than a standard srw sterling.

We did one for a guys 2010 and you couldn't tell except for the longer hubcaps. And several others in pulling trucks.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
How much wider is it than a normal srw? They are like an inch wider overall but the standard with dually sticks out a LOT. Like half a tire width more than a standard srw sterling.

We did one for a guys 2010 and you couldn't tell except for the longer hubcaps. And several others in pulling trucks.

Let me measure tomorrow

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Figured I would ask here rather then start a new post. With swapping a 2008 f-250 to a 2002-2004 Dana 80. Will the abs system still work? Driveshaft bolt up?

farmin powerstroke

Reaction score
My abs still works, the drive shaft will work they may have different ends though. I had to change mine to a cap style from a 4 bolt flange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online