Installed gauges, ac stopped working

always-strokin

Reaction score
Did my ac stop working as a direct cause of installing the gauges? I dont know. For that matter, I dont know that it stopped working the exact day I installed my gauges.

All I know is I run my ac often to make sure the compressor works and doesnt freeze, and to circuilate the freon. Last summer I filled my ac up, and this summer it was still ice cold in the cab.

Coincidentally since my day-long 4-gauge install, my ac hasn't worked. THe comopressor doesn't click on. Theres zero pressure at the high pressure port on the side of the dryer unit whether ac is turned on or turned off. All of the connections are secure. The fuse is good.

Help?

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
No pressure=no refrigerant. Is there any oil accumulation evidence at the AC line connections, especially at the compressor connections and the condenser connections. Leaks can obviously occur anywhere in the system but occur more frequently on the discharge side.

always-strokin

Reaction score
If there is zero pressure there is no refrigerant. Low pressure switch is holding the comp off.

Great. How is this possible if just a week before the gauge install my ac would freeze you out???

No pressure=no refrigerant. Is there any oil accumulation evidence at the AC line connections, especially at the compressor connections and the condenser connections. Leaks can obviously occur anywhere in the system but occur more frequently on the discharge side.

I didn't see anything, no. I'll go look harder for oil residue, but I"m pretty certain I didn't see anything.

This baffles me how all of my refrigerant decided to disappear all in one gulp

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Unless when you installed gages and did something that made a oily hissing white cloud it is probably unrelated. Check condenser for rock holes or rubs. Check line connections. A leak that recent and large will leave a oil trail. If nothing else go to auto store and get a cheap can of 134a refrigerant only! No leak stop or oil BS. This is a sacrificial can for leak checking. Shove it in and listen. Sometimes mechanical seal on comp will just take a dump so try to listen to it. Soap bubble everything you can get to.

always-strokin

Reaction score
Awesome advice. I'll do those steps mentioned and see what happens and report back my findings in a few weeks. Appreciate it guys.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
if there's zero pressure at the port, I'd look for something busted off after I leaned on it..

always-strokin

Reaction score
If it was me, I would be looking for something unplugged.

Electrical or mechanical? I checked over the electrical quickly and everything seemed plugged in and tight. Perhaps I should spend a bit more time then

if there's zero pressure at the port, I'd look for something busted off after I leaned on it..

In other words me or my cousins big ass as we were all over that engine bay installing gauges :doh:

Zmann

Reaction score
zero pressure at the port is all you needed to know to figure this out if you tested that correctly ? and it's not an electrical issue

now find your leak

also the system will need to be evacuated to get all the moisture out before you recharge after you get it fixed

Last edited:

always-strokin

Reaction score
Going to get searching in the next hour or so and will keep this thread updates as progress is made. Appreciate all your wonderful help.

Zmann

Reaction score
Good luck!

check your condenser ( radiator looking thing for the AC ) for rock damage first

but I like the idea of sacrificing a can of 134

find a nice quite spot to test IMHO

PSD715

Reaction score
It was just coincidence it when out when it did, it can seems like it happens all at once with a slow leak because the truck will still cool well when it's low on refrigerant all the way until its low enough the sensor won't engage the clutch.

PSD715

Reaction score
Most likely. I have a dye we put in mine to find the leak, but I have no idea where to get it :shrug: My dad works at a dealer and just brought it to me

JLDickmon

Reaction score
Most likely. I have a dye we put in mine to find the leak, but I have no idea where to get it :shrug: My dad works at a dealer and just brought it to me

any parts store..

the OP was already told to sacrifice a hand grenade to the Great Gods..

I'm betting as soon as it goes in, he'll hear it pyssyng out at the problem.

PSD715

Reaction score
They have r-134a cans with the blue dye in it? I understand you can find an oily spot with just a regular can, but it's really easy with the dye

always-strokin

Reaction score
Well the last can of stuff I put in had a green dye to it. The ONLY place I can see any form of oil or green dye is in the highpressure fillup port. WHen I remove the cap, theres some trace aamounts of it in the aluminum fillup port.

My engine bay is kinda dusty, and there is NO oil or dye any where on that engine, the hoses, valves, etc. The fillup valve is the only spot w/ some circling around. So I wonder if I have a sticky fillup valve or maybe its junked? Or perhaps thats just residue from when I initally filled it up last year.

I'm probably still gonna have to sacrifice a junk bottle of r134a and see if that fillup valve is sticky.

Latest posts

Members online