Instrument cluster swap

Dreamer

Reaction score
I want to swap out the instrument cluster in my 05 F250 with a white faced cluster like the Harley Davidson, Lariat and King Ranch have. Someone said I need to match numbers off the back of the clusters and then take it to a speedo shop to have the odometer matched. Has anyone done this swap? I would think with computers, you could just plug in a different/new one and have it read from the computer previous settings plus now show the extra info the upgraded clusters offer. I searched the threads here and found nothing, unless I just missed it!

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
I want to swap out the instrument cluster in my 05 F250 with a white faced cluster like the Harley Davidson, Lariat and King Ranch have. Someone said I need to match numbers off the back of the clusters and then take it to a speedo shop to have the odometer matched. Has anyone done this swap? I would think with computers, you could just plug in a different/new one and have it read from the computer previous settings plus now show the extra info the upgraded clusters offer. I searched the threads here and found nothing, unless I just missed it!

you could just swap the faces....the gauge faces peal off the cluster themselves...

Jeremy

Reaction score
It will work, but the miles are stored in the cluster. Another issue you'll have is the info/reset buttons are on separate switches on KR/Lariat dashes. Your black cluster has the button you push in right on the gauge face.

So yes it will plug in and work, but you wont be using any of the stored functions in the cluster.

Also XL trucks w/o power windows and locks, if you swap in a fancy cluster like the Lariat/KR or one from a XLT your dome lights will work with the door switches(door ajar etc). That programming is in the Cluster itself.

I ran into these headaches when I converted a 2006 XL to XLT.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Just swap the face like Mark said. You can get it done in less than an hr if you work slowly... LOL. I actually swapped my tan face KR gauges to black face because I wanted my cluster to match my isspro gauges.

Dreamer

Reaction score
Thanks guys. From what Jeremy said, I don't want to mess with it. As far as pealing the faces off, I had not heard of that. I've seen the cheap kits you can overlay. Is there anything I would need to worry about with pealing them off? And how do they stick back on? I don't want to buy a cluster, ruin it (or mine) and be screwed!

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Thanks guys. From what Jeremy said, I don't want to mess with it. As far as pealing the faces off, I had not heard of that. I've seen the cheap kits you can overlay. Is there anything I would need to worry about with pealing them off? And how do they stick back on? I don't want to buy a cluster, ruin it (or mine) and be screwed!

check out page 16 of my "White Salvage" project I did last year

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27317&page=16

pull the cluster out of the truck, carfully pry up the tabs on the clear plastic overlay on the back (I think there is (6) those will pop the outter clear cover off the front, giving your access to your needles and guage face.

then what I did was plug the cluster back in, and start the truck, and and take a picture of where the needles are. shut the truck off remove the cluster again.

take 2 metal butter knoves, slid them under the needle (one on each side of the stem) and pry up evenly, this will pop the needles off the cluster. Repeat for the rest of them.

Then simply start at a corner, and peal up the guage face. Its pretty thick and heavy duty, so shouldn't be a problem.

Then remove the other guage face, and swap them. There should be enough glue on the back of the guage faces and bezel to keep in in place.

one the new face is on, plug the cluster back into the truck and start it, and put the needles back on referring to the picture you took in previous steps..

then put the face bezel back on, and reinstall.

should take you less then an hour all said and done!

Dreamer

Reaction score
Thanks Mark. I'll give that a try. If I start with the one not in my truck I'll only be out the cost of it if I screw it up. And the one in my truck now will still be fine! Now I just need to find one at one of the local wrecking yards.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
It seriously is really easy to swap the face like mark said. I just took a picture before I tore it apart and put the needles back as close as possible. They are all pretty much right on

florida 6.0

Reaction score
How hard is it to get the cluster apart ? Mine is full of dust and I would really like to take it apart and clean it .

Jarrod B

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to swap out the info center? I have the xlt display, I didn't want the white display but just the info center. Is that plug n play when I tear it apart and change out?

Reaction score
I know it's old, but I'm gonna give it a bump for an answer on the info center. Also any pics

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

Latest posts

Members online