Intake plenum question.

birdco85

Reaction score
So I decided to do a boost leak test and discovered that both my plenums are leaking. They are leaking right where the super duty ones have the extra two bolt holes. So my question is, do all of the heads have those extra bolt holes cast in and just the plenums didn't have the extra holes, Or do only the newer heads have the extra holes cast in?

The reason I ask is because I have a set of 3"plenums that I would rather put on instead of resealing the stock 2" ones. So do I have to weld those 2 holes up or can I just get 2 extra bolts per side.

And I know I need to dent the drivers side one to clear the turbo. Ideally I would get some nice fabricated ones but $250ish for a piece of flat stock with a piece tube welded to it is ridiculous. Thanks guys.

Sent from my RAZR because I told it to...

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Too bad you can't drill and tap a new hole. But not with head on motor.

birdco85

Reaction score
Any other better options other than what I previously listed?

old man dave

Reaction score
My buddy installed the 3" plenums on his 8 hole 95 heads. He built a "bridge", from bolt to bolt over the space where the missing hole is, simular to a small block chevy valve cover extended holddown out of bar stock. Sealed up great.

birdco85

Reaction score
My buddy installed the 3" plenums on his 8 hole 95 heads. He built a "bridge", from bolt to bolt over the space where the missing hole is, simular to a small block chevy valve cover extended holddown out of bar stock. Sealed up great.

Picture? I feel it's a piece of bar with a hole in each end but I'm not familiar with the SB Chevy setup.

old man dave

Reaction score
That's exactly what he did, the bar applies pressure where the missing bolts would be. He actually machined a piece but it was a bar in essence.

birdco85

Reaction score
So I guess another question, I know the e99 spyder has 2-3/8 outlets. So would I buy a reducer that is 2.25 or 2.5? I guess would the 2.25 slip on without to much trouble? I know dieselsite has the correct ones but for $90 I'll figure something else out.

Last edited:

birdco85

Reaction score
And what's the best way to get this dang silicone off. It took me a while to get it of of the plenums with scotch BRITE rolok

rat49f6

Reaction score
2 1/4 work but clay at riffraff has the right ones also and you don't have to buy the full set

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

rusty1161

Reaction score
So I guess another question, I know the e99 spyder has 2-3/8 outlets. So would I buy a reducer that is 2.25 or 2.5? I guess would the 2.25 slip on without to much trouble? I know dieselsite has the correct ones but for $90 I'll figure something else out.

Unless I am mistaken, you're gonna need 3" to 2-3/8"(2-1/4" or 2-1/2") should work. Riffraff's are for the stock E-99, 2" to 2-3/8".

Rusty

birdco85

Reaction score
Yeah 10-4. I thought dieselsite had the correct ones, but they only have the stock early 99 ones. I know I need 3" - 2-3/8". Just don't want to buy them too big.

rat49f6

Reaction score
I got mine from frozen boost and had to trim them down for length... bought 2 1/4" x 3"

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

birdco85

Reaction score
Everything is buttoned up, got my boots from siliconeintakes.com. Pretty good prices, only $33 for the two boots, and two new clamps with shipping. Its nice actually making boost now, got it to 32 psi, does that sound right for the 140 hot tune? I was towing a travel trailer to my house today which its an 8% grade, decided to punch it up the hill (in the 80 tow tune) and the thing did great, until the top. I started to smell oil so I stopped and I blew an o-ring on an hpop line. Damn, never ending....

Thus was the first time I've actually had some weight behind the truck other than my camper. I was very happy, a lot less smoke. Thanks for the help guys!

Latest posts

Members online