Intercooler hose blowing off turbo

pedaltheglobe

Reaction score
Hello. Today while driving down the highway I attempted to pass a semi and I heard a loud pop and lost all boost. Tons of black smoke from the exhaust. I got home and realized the intercooler hose popped off. I tightened it back up, but it happened two more times after that. To note the truck had an aftermarket turbo when I purchased it, but until now I have had zero issues in the last 5k miles. Should I just replace the hose/clamp with new or could I be looking at turbo issues?

Last edited:

protronics00

Reaction score
First pull the boots off and clean them really good with dish detergent and water. Let them dry and replace them if they are oil soaked. Clean all the pipes where the boots attach as oil will get into your system via the crank case vent if you dont have it rerouted. When you reassemble get your wife's hair spray out and give the pipe and the inside of the boot a good coat. Let it sit until it gets a little tacky and reassemble. It's a pain in the but to get it reassembled but they held for me. Make sure you use the proper torque specks on claps.

Obviously some large aftermarket turbos can cause the boot to come loose or your intercooler tanks to crack but if this is the first time in 5k I wouldn't expect that to be your problem. If the above doesn't fix your problem there could be other issues. When you pull everything off for cleaning visually inspect the turbo for oil and check your wheel for any bearing play.

pedaltheglobe

Reaction score
After further inspection the hose is not fitting tight and is worn. I called the dealer and they want $100 for a 5 inch piece of hose and two clamps. Legal robbery as usual from the stealership. Has anyone made their own?

Irontx

Reaction score
Go to diesel site and get bobs boots... cost a little more.... but well worth it.

pedaltheglobe

Reaction score
There is some oil in the turbo. Is that amount normal or do I need a rebuild?
uploadfromtaptalk1407786254992.jpg

Irontx

Reaction score
Normal.. from ccv...... as long as your blades aren't chipped. . Housing contact..... or lots of in and out slop.... up and down.. side to side is normal..

pedaltheglobe

Reaction score
Thanks for the help and advice guys. Did the hairspray trick and all has been well for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Members online