intermitent choppy idle at high idle

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
So it hasnt been cold til recently so I guess it never got the chance to show its face. but i noticed it the other day, my truck was idling and went in to high idle cause its cold, idled fine for a while, then started acting a little lopey and rough. just a little bit, not to the extent to where it would die or anything just not smooth. tapped the brake, went back to normal idle, no more roughness. I have an SCT LiveWire on it with a canned tune right now.

It happened again tonight when I started it after work. High idled fine for a little bit then went choppy again. this time I flipped through the parameters on my scan gauge and when I got to injection timing , it was fluctuating. couldnt make out what numbers it was fluctuating between. tapped the brake and the timing when to a static number. at normal idle its fine, just when its in high idle that it acts up.

so my question is, would a sensor of some kind cause that? or does it have to do with the generic canned tune and it going in to high idle?

OBS F350

Reaction score
I would try a different tune, I had a super crappy idle all the time with my KEM 210 (nothing against KEM, just my experience). It would sit there and jerk the truck at stop lights, etc. Also would randomly rev to 1.5-2k rpms slowly when going into park or neutral every once in awhile. Switched to gearhead and all his tunes performed awesome, never had any problem again.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
My truck has always done this when tuned, no matter who's tune it's had.

The only time it went away was shortly after I cleared the adaptive tables for the HPFP. But it wasn't long before it was back doing the same thing.

I just ignore it.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Mine will do it also with the X-Street in when it is cold.
I have never loaded the X-Race, but I would think it would do the same.
The tow and street has not done it.
Look at the EGT's, I bet they are pretty low.

Reaction score
Mine does it too with the canned sct tunes. It just started getting cold enough here in colorado to high idle. I only noticed it cause the exhaust tone would kinda lope just slightly.

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
Sounds normal then. It wasnt worrying me too terribly. Just wanted to rule out it being an early warning sign for a sensor or something worse. Thanks

BFT

Reaction score
Mine does that when cold as well. A lot of the sounds would sometimes come from my defrost on, but it still lopes a little with it not on

08Harley

Reaction score
My truck did this as well this year. It was a little rougher at first when i checked my air filter it was not in the best of shape cleaned the filter the truck still does it a little but it is alot smoother. hope it helps

Latest posts

Members online