Intermittent no start, no WTS light

high desert stroke

Reaction score
Having a intermittent issue. Only happens during warm weather and after a long haul. Never does it during winter. Shut truck down after a long haul. Then try to re-start and get no wait to start light and just cranks. Let it cool down and light comes back and it fires. Has me stumped. And no I don't have AE, just a scanner and it throws no codes. Ideas?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Wait to start light comes from glow plug relay, then to PCM. Correct?

joe d

Reaction score
Check the fuse under the hood the fuel heater wts light and pcm or idm dont rember what one all run off of the same fuse with no wts light the truck wont start makes me feel like a simple short somewhere or a bad connection weather its the fuse or some wires im betting its a stupid simple fix. When hot seems ro me that its a connection or melted wire...

Arisley

Reaction score
A fuse does not work sometimes and not others. It either works or it doesn't.

The wait to start light is controlled by the PCM. Actually has no connection to glow plugs or how long they are on.

Check the PCM relay under the hood. Clean the contacts in the fuse box where the relay plugs in and replace it. Classic symptoms of a relay getting old.

Arisley

Reaction score
Correct. One is the blower motor for the heat and A/C, one is the IDM relay and one is the PCM relay. You can swap in the blower motor relay for troubleshooting.

Mine was doing the same thing. I hit the contacts with some contact cleaner and a brush, swapped out the relay and had no more issues.

Latest posts

Members online