Intermittent no start

hwrdbd

Reaction score
This is really driving me crazy trying to pinpoint this issue, any input would be appreciated.

History:
motor sat in my old truck for a few months, finally got around to swapping it into new truck and parting out old. No issues at all, runs great.
Friend has a good deal on srp1.1, I get the bright idea to swap my t500 out for it. New pump in, truck starts up fine, monitoring icp/ipr duty cycle all that jazz on my tablet with torque pro. Not a scanner but better than nothing.
Runs great, drive around a bit that night no issues at all. Go home. Next day starts right up no problem I warmed truck up a couple minutes I think then drove about ten minutes to Dunkin for a coffee. Inside for two minutes, truck wont start. Not building enough icp, only about 250. Sat for a while, wasn't starting. I think maybe fluke air pocket (hopes and dreams here) so I pull reservoir plug and manage to get a little bit of oil to work its way in there. Note that the hpop level was no more than 3/4 inch down when I originally pulled the plug.
Truck starts up, little rough for a second but then runs fine. Great actually, go rip on it and everything seems as it should. Starts fine the next week or two.
Beginning of this week, slightly cooler overnight (teens or low twenties) than had recently been. Go to fire up for work, crank crank crank, not building enough icp again. wtf. Signs point to sticking ipr no? Building about 250 icp on an old ipr I've been using forever. Doesn't make a difference if icp sensor is unplugged or not. This was truck fully cold from sitting overnight.
Brand new ford ipr installed that night, fired right up. Shut off and started a few times in a row right away. Drove around for a while that night, still working fine. No issues the rest of the week until yesterday.
Truck was fully warmed up, running errands after work making a few stops. Seemed to be cranking a little longer, as if icp is slow to build. One final stop before home and truck wont restart. Turn on tablet, yup, 250ish icp again. Finally after prob 45 minutes or an hour, it slowly builds enough icp to start. I drive literally less than half mile home, park, it wouldn't restart.

The fact that this comes and goes really has me confused. I put a brand new melling lpop in when I swapped the motor a couple months back. New oil pan. Didn't look for cracked pickup tube... Now I've got a week old ford ipr and the problem is still there. Every single time I checked hpop level it was right up within 3/4 inch of top. Even during my sessions of cranking and not starting. So am I right in thinking that rules out lpo problem?
It acts just like sticking ipr but i'm having a hard time believing that happened twice in a week with 2 different ones. I'm going to hook up to scanner later, but was hoping someone might have some wild idea i've been overlooking.
Thanks for reading my essay lol, just wanted to cover all the relevant details.

Arisley

Reaction score
Search SRP. This is a very common problem with them.

Even a perfectly working SRP is not as good as a good working T500.

Put the T500 back in, issue will go away.

hwrdbd

Reaction score
I read a bunch and thought they had resolved that issue... Excuse me while I go close my head under the hood...

hwrdbd

Reaction score
So that brings me here.... When I pulled the t500 it looked like this. Is this not a seal pushing out?

Attachments

• IMG-20160325-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20160325-WA0012.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 55

Arisley

Reaction score
Pull the SRP out. Compare them. If it is, get something that you can span the seal and tap it back in. If there is a missing snap ring, pull it off the SRP and put it on the T500. Don't even think about where the missing snap ring went, it will drive you absolutely nuts.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Search SRP. This is a very common problem with them.

Even a perfectly working SRP is not as good as a good working T500.

Put the T500 back in, issue will go away.
true dat!! that brings us back to the old sayin, its not if it fails, its when it will fail..
I read a bunch and thought they had resolved that issue... Excuse me while I go close my head under the hood...
get the t500 back in and send the srp to Dynoproven.. they have a way to make it reliable and turn it into a Sr badger pump... or just scrap it... and by scrap it i mean send it to me..

Don't even think about where the missing snap ring went, it will drive you absolutely nuts.
lol.. easier said than done but its true!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

hwrdbd

Reaction score
Ok so i drove that seal back flush on the t500 and threw that pump back in... ton of cranking and it finally slowly fired. Drove around runs fine once its going. Back into shop, shut down. Tried immediate restart, slowly built icp and fired, prob about 10 sec cranking. Let it sit a minute then wouldnt restart, wont build over 300 icp.
Now I'm at 2 pumps and 3 ipr valves with no start.
Since the problem started after the initial pump swap then I feel like something in my procedure or a part is most likely the problem... Going to try putting pressure in the system with air tomorrow to check for leaks under the valve covers...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ok so i drove that seal back flush on the t500 and threw that pump back in... ton of cranking and it finally slowly fired. Drove around runs fine once its going. Back into shop, shut down. Tried immediate restart, slowly built icp and fired, prob about 10 sec cranking. Let it sit a minute then wouldnt restart, wont build over 300 icp.
Now I'm at 2 pumps and 3 ipr valves with no start.
Since the problem started after the initial pump swap then I feel like something in my procedure or a part is most likely the problem... Going to try putting pressure in the system with air tomorrow to check for leaks under the valve covers...
how many miles did you drive it? did you romp on it a bit to get air out of the system?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

dsberman94

Reaction score
You say 3 ipr valves. Are you replacing the entire thing, valve and electrical coil, or just the valve part?

hwrdbd

Reaction score
I replaced the entire thing. When originally swapping the pump I swapped my working ipr over. First no-start I bought brand new ipr from ford. Yesterday while trying to diagnose I swapped in another working ipr I had from a spare motor. Today I checked continuity through the ipr wiring, ohmed out the ipr to confirm it landed within the specs I found. Pulled valve cover and cranked over to see oil leaking around the base of injector. Pulled to confirm ripped o ring.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Glad you found it. Reason I asked about the ipr coil is I had one go bad and i had a no start condition. All I had to do was swap on a new coil on the ipr. The valve is still my original one. When I swap in the new motor next month I'll put the new valve in the HPOP with the new coil on it.

Latest posts

Members online