iPad Mini in Dash

higherlife

Reaction score
Next project for the truck is getting a iPad mini in the dash. I just got the radio bezel/shroud piece today and I'm waiting on the iPad mini to start cutting. I saw a few on Facebook done and since I have never touched any of the controls physical ac or radio controls on the dash, why not give it a shot. Here's where I'm at so far:
580b160abda08a32110b72bc80f17f41.jpg

b94fca8b773d27d089b09a1506b72c3d.jpg

c47edfef6335a3b500639a14966c18c1.jpg

Will update as soon as the iPad mini gets here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95cobby

Reaction score
Company called retrocustomz makes a bezel for the iPad mini.. Not sure on cost though.

higherlife

Reaction score
Company called retrocustomz makes a bezel for the iPad mini.. Not sure on cost though.

I saw theirs, it is definitely what I am trying to accomplish but I want to take it a few steps further. Also i am a weekend hobbyist so I like little projects in my down time.

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
*Confused look*

the ipad would be the head unit correct? that would be sweet to have your monitoring and stereo all integrated into the same display finally lol. right now i've got my 8" android tablet running the torque app from a center console cup holder mount and the factory nav head unit just sitting there without much of a purpose lol

ImAti0n

Reaction score
I've seen other people run a Sony head unit behind the iPad because Sony has an app for the iPad in which you can control the fm tuner plus more via iPad interface. So you retain your radio and XM radio with the added ipad interface.

That's the route I'm going to go here shortly.

Jomax

Reaction score
I've seen other people run a Sony head unit behind the iPad because Sony has an app for the iPad in which you can control the fm tuner plus more via iPad interface. So you retain your radio and XM radio with the added ipad interface.

That's the route I'm going to go here shortly.

Please make a thread if you do!

ImAti0n

Reaction score
Please make a thread if you do!

Will do. I already found a website online that makes the magnetic backing for the iPad to sit in the dash.

Gotta get the ccv mod done, headlights retrofit since those are sitting in boxes and I'll get to the iPad in dash.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I meant. I know you can't remove the factory unit. But obviously the sound quality is terrible even if processed by a bit one. Guys down here were doing the Sony cd player with iPad mini so you could have clean rca output. That's why I asked. Obviously I wish I could control factory stuff(seats, a.c.,) with the iPad and still control the Sony.

I know of no way to control the factory stuff with the iPad.
That's what I was asking I guess

Last edited:

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Will do. I already found a website online that makes the magnetic backing for the iPad to sit in the dash.

Gotta get the ccv mod done, headlights retrofit since those are sitting in boxes and I'll get to the iPad in dash.
Dude your list is identical to mine lol. You doing the lights yourself?

ImAti0n

Reaction score
I have the xlt so I can get away with the Sony and using the steering wheel controls and all that since I don't have MyTouch.

ImAti0n

Reaction score
Dude your list is identical to mine lol. You doing the lights yourself?

Yessir. I bought an OEM set from someone on the org. Just waiting for escrow to close and get the keys to my new house and I'll start the retrofit project.

bruce65trojan

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how yours turns out. I installed the retrocustomz a while back and really like it.
a01277ed1dcece89a236c7090ccdc680.jpg

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I could be wrong but don't you have controls for the AC in the MFT display?
Hell if I know, I have an 02 lol.
Actually I was reading about this kit online a few days ago and I thought it was in the IPad but I'll have to look

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.