IPR DC%??

superstroker99

Reaction score
Thats the thing it wont start it died during a sled pull saturday night and has not started since. Have you guys ever delt with a instant HPOP failure? I mean like you cut the key off. will only build 40-50psi. I have checked everything. Change to a spare IPR and ICP i have same results. I have just never seen a pump go all at once like this.

ken6881

Reaction score
Have you checked the hpop reservoir to make sure the hpop is getting oil?

golfer

Reaction score
Thats the thing it wont start it died during a sled pull saturday night and has not started since. Have you guys ever delt with a instant HPOP failure? I mean like you cut the key off. will only build 40-50psi. I have checked everything. Change to a spare IPR and ICP i have same results. I have just never seen a pump go all at once like this.

yes.

The factory HPOP is a piston pump..so they have very tight tolerances.

40-50psi cranking "ICP" pressure is just your LPOil pressure...so your HPOP is literally dead...not 'weak'...

further..since you are seeing SOME kind of reading for ICP...that means you have LPOil pressure...the HPOP&LPOP just happen to be the exact same...since the pump is just sitting there as a vessel.

you could have spun the inlet/outlet plate inside the pump...your could have grenaded the piston housing/barrel...broken the shaft, or any number of other internal mechanical failure.

but you can rule out the IPR...if the IPR were bad, you'd see (depending on cranking rpm)...(up to about) 275psi..still a no-start...but anything in the 200's could be indicative of a bad IPR...anything under 100psi, and the IPR is probably not the culprit.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I think he's saying that the saturation reduces the resolution of the signal and will not be accurate, leading to improper signals. It's not that the magnetic field stays energized, but that it takes a period of time for the saturation of the coil to bleed off and give an accurate reading. This happens quite often in current transformers that are improperly sized or are subjected to abnormal conditions.

This ^ Ish...

Seems to me the IPR is staying at high DC past the time it takes for the engine to return to idle. Coil saturation holds the IPR partially closed. Closed more, at any rate, than it ought to be for idle.

Results in a crappy idle for a few seconds and occasionally a stall.

I have called for 100% duty cycles and never experienced what he posted.

Was the IPR actually netting 100% duty cycle?

I had a tune once asking for up to 100% to meet commanded ICP, I saw... 80% ish... And the truck died if I let off the throttle quick.

Switched tuners. New tune maxed at 60% ish and... Minimal crappy idle coming off WOT, no stalls.

superstroker99

Reaction score
yea thats what im seeing is the low pressure on the ICP. I know anything is possible. Just usually these things dont just go all at once. I pulled a line off the head stuck it in a quart bottle cranked about 20 seconds and only got 1/4 of a quart. I dont know the flow rate on these pumps but i think it should be more than that.

Latest posts

Members online