IPR Valve pigtail

thecabinetguy

Reaction score
I have a 2003 7.3. While driving home at 70 mph the truck died towed it home thinking it was the oil pump. What I have found is the IPR Valve pigtail is melted where the wires go into the plug can anyone tell me what happened. Can I just change out the pigtail or is there more problems than this

Thanks

thuglike

Reaction score
Agreed..happened to me twice...I use to keep a spare in the glove box. Also i used some electrical tape on the new pig tail wires just as some insurance.

rusty1161

Reaction score
If you have an old under valve cover harness, you can use an injector plug. It worked for me, but I have heard it hasn't worked for others.

Rusty

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It sounds more like a mis diagnosis to me. You wont believe half the chit ive heard customers have been told...

thecabinetguy

Reaction score
The truck died while driving down the road. The only thing I can find is the IPR pigtail melted. I ran auto enginuity just showed low injection pressure.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It is probably just the pigtail. As someone said before, if you have an old uvc harness laying around the injector pigtails are the same. In that case.it is a free fix, you can always change the ipr if you are worried about it but ive seen this sveral times. First time i saw it was on a 6.0 and i actually mis diagged it as the ipr. The nd gets like that from oil, fuel, or whatever getting caught up in the convoluted tubing and eating the insulation away.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I suppose it would. I would fix the leaks, if they are still present, and when i change the pigtail i put the good ford shrinkwrap all he way up to the har shell, then wrap it several imes in electrical tape. That way if you do get a leak again it takes it a hell of a long tim to go thru all tht bfore i gets to he insulation.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I was just curious. Obviously fix any leaks but I'd imagine that doing anything to make it last longer couldn't hurt b

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah i try everything i can to prevebt it from happenng again. I have never tried the liquid electrical tape, so i can not say how it will work.

cocomedic17

Reaction score
Had the same issue with mine. Truck continually died, thought it was just the IPR. Found out it was the back of the pigtail was melted. I believe the cause of that was the oil leak from the HPOP. Since the o-rings, fittings, oil lines, IPR, and pigtail have replaced, no issues. The valley is dry as a bone. The IPR pigtail holding up just fine. All parts were ordered from diesel o-rings and riff raff.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.