Is a GTX worth the extra coin?

Reaction score
I bet a little tighter housing might help. Provided egts aren't an issue of course. I'm not an expert though so maybe someone else can jump in.

Why couldn't he upgrade to the precision billet wheel? Its just a new compressor wheel and remachined compressor housing.

He probably can do that. I don't know anything about the PTE turbos or parts. I'm not sure if you can buy the billet wheel and cover and bolt it on or if you need to send the turbo to them to get it done.

Suns_PSD

Reaction score
No sir, I'm being completely serious.

I have a huge T6 housing type turbo and I have the tightest turbine housing available on it right now. At 70mph on flat ground I get less than 5#psi and it's not enough for my usually lightly loaded conditions.

I feel that my mpg would actually improve if I had more boost sooner.

I've heard guys mentiona company called Precision (I think) that sells a bolt on billet wheel that is significantly better? Any advise is appreciated.

I called my turbo guy about upgrading to the X but it was a lot of $. He told me he doesn't think it would be worth the $1700 or whatever.

Thanks.

See highlighted above. It's no biggie. The truck runs great. I just always want a little bit more but I don't want it $2K more.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
But its the tightest t6 housing right? They're a little bigger than a t4 even when the number is smaller. Its the shape of the housing. Its just bigger. Get a T4 housing and adapter. I bet jake could fix ya up on the adapter, and precision has the turbine housings for a couple hundred bucks. Jake could probably get a housing too. I mean, he got me a gtx in 4 days! The guy works miracles! Lol!

Suns_PSD

Reaction score
Nope, my truck already kills. No need to change anything cause there is far from anything wrong w/ it. It already murders the tires constantly.

If I spent big money on it (which I won't) it would get compounds.

If there was am improved compressor wheel I could just install and make more boost at a lower RPM I would. Otherwise I'm not interested.

Thanks anyways.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Suns, if you are interested in the GTX wheel it is the way to go if you have a choice to upgrade it and choose between the precision wheel and the GTX. MattR is running the gtx4202 and he says it spools just like a 38r with his 400% nozzles. The precision wheel i ran did little to improve spoolup, just flow a chit ton of air once it got spinning fast enough. Matt explained to me the 11 blade wheel (or whatever it is) has less space between the next fin thus catching more air, keeping it on the discharge side of the wheel making spoolup much quicker than stock. Call Forced Inductions, i had them give me a price swapping out wheels to GTX when i had the turbo (sold it by the way) and they quoted me $929 to put the GTX wheel and cover on (can't use stock cover) and labor to install it. I think the compressor wheel will do what you want it to do.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Its not a good turbo at all...you should sell it to me and go with a 38r...

Yeah, I agree. I even have a nearly-new 38R and ceramic-coated Int'l bellowed up-pipes I'll trade ya for all that T4 junk! LOL

Seriously though, I can't wait until you get this dialed in. I'm still leaning toward 250/200's in the X, but looking for a smokeless DD that can tow HEAVY and run hard at the track every once in awhile!! :popcorn:

Suns_PSD

Reaction score
Suns, if you are interested in the GTX wheel it is the way to go if you have a choice to upgrade it and choose between the precision wheel and the GTX. MattR is running the gtx4202 and he says it spools just like a 38r with his 400% nozzles. The precision wheel i ran did little to improve spoolup, just flow a chit ton of air once it got spinning fast enough. Matt explained to me the 11 blade wheel (or whatever it is) has less space between the next fin thus catching more air, keeping it on the discharge side of the wheel making spoolup much quicker than stock. Call Forced Inductions, i had them give me a price swapping out wheels to GTX when i had the turbo (sold it by the way) and they quoted me $929 to put the GTX wheel and cover on (can't use stock cover) and labor to install it. I think the compressor wheel will do what you want it to do.

Thanks for the info. That was exactly what I needed.

I was hoping I could just yank my intake off and use an air tool to swap out one compressor wheel for another wheel and have a marked improvement in performance. I've worked on 7.3s enough for 2 lifetimes and spent enough $ on mods to buy a spare Scorpion. I now prefer to just drive around!

My truck is a perfect tow beast but the power is sort of soft down low. I have one of the few 7.3s that has a powerband weighted towards the top end. My truck accelerates at 100 mph like a lightweight powerful car. The turbo loads better in the upper gears and it accelerates notably better in 3rd than it does in 2nd for instance. I'd prefer to swap some of that, unusable for me top end, for some more midrange.

Thanks again.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I even have a nearly-new 38R and ceramic-coated Int'l bellowed up-pipes I'll trade ya for all that T4 junk! LOL

Seriously though, I can't wait until you get this dialed in. I'm still leaning toward 250/200's in the X, but looking for a smokeless DD that can tow HEAVY and run hard at the track every once in awhile!! :popcorn:

Jason we are putting the gtx in today. You should come up early and check it out!

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well I'm a little pissed. Fedex ****ed up the shipment of water lines and fittings. It was supposed to be overnighted to me and get here today. They refunded Jake's $58 for shipping and said it should be here in the morning. Grrrrrr!!

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Horn Creek to fish trout in the lakes and streams, and ride 4wheelers in the sangre de cristo mountains. Its by silvercliff and westcliff about 13/4 hours SE of Colorado springs.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Turbo is in and I'm a happy guy.
Sound and feel - Quieter then a stock turbo, but the engine has a deeper growl.

Performance - Even with the bigger turbine housing it lights like a stock turbo with a 1.0 housing (haysksfirefighter has one) It lights incredibly fast. Its better then the old one but not 2k better on the bottom end. I've gone to half throttle in my econo tune, the deeper I go into the throttle the more impressive it becomes. I'll have to get it on the track to tell more on top end, but first my trip to Colorado.

Pics and bids to come.

Gearhead

Reaction score

I don't think i ever said 38r like spoolup with my 4202x....LOL It is better than my 71mm modded h2e though as far as getting up on the boost threashold sooner in the rpm range even with the 1.15 housing. The 4294x should start to come alive at 1600-1700 with the 1.15 housing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.