Is a pcs right for me?

bazdog1

Reaction score
The other thread about the pcs has me wondering....should I get a pcs?

I have a 2001 truck with pmt1 computer. I've had stock, local rebuilt, and now a bts trans.

I've had four different tuners in the 6 years I've owned the truck and none have come close to the consistency and smoothness of the stock trans programming. I usually drive in the city with the stock tune because the 1/2 shift slams, or locks the converter or something I don't think it should do. If I drive "spirited" from stoplight to stoplight, It will slam every gear, or shift way to early or hang in a gear.

Of all the tunes, every tuners best shifting is their tow tunes. Why is this?

I live at 5500 ft. elevation and have been told that it is harder to dial the trans in at altitude.

My trans shifts so hard sometimes, that I broke the intermediate in the bts trans with stage 1 injectors. I got a new trans and it is the exact same.

I don't want to break another one:fustrate:. TIA

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
You can control line pressure, shift rpm, tc lockup or go full manual mode and downshift/upshift at will. All via laptop interface.

I'm in the midst of installing my PCS. I ordered mine through Jacob@WOP. If you do. Get Jacob to send PCS's serial to USB adapter cable as most modern laptops do not have a serial port. Saves you the hassle of having to find one or order.

Jacob and wackerjr at WOP are both extremely helpful.

bazdog1

Reaction score
dieselboy, can you keep us posted on how you like your setup when your done, and how hard it is to make tweaks to the shifting?

I want to make sure that I can tune out any problems with this set up and not have the same problems that I'm trying to get away from.

What effect does this have when going from a tow tune to a race tune? Does it matter? I'm assuming that this is a set it and forget type thing, but I'm curious about running empty compared to towing.

JDub

Reaction score
dieselboy, can you keep us posted on how you like your setup when your done, and how hard it is to make tweaks to the shifting?

I want to make sure that I can tune out any problems with this set up and not have the same problems that I'm trying to get away from.

What effect does this have when going from a tow tune to a race tune? Does it matter? I'm assuming that this is a set it and forget type thing, but I'm curious about running empty compared to towing.

The PCS software will allow you to setup a 'Calibration A' and 'Calibration B'. You can install a switch to run to the controller so you can change from one tuning software to the other. So you could set 'A' for towing/daily driving and 'B' for racing, etc...

Wackerjr

Reaction score
The "blue box" lol

Pretty much with a the pcs your transmission tuning possibillities are endless. (and in my opinion on a auto matic truck makes the tuning of the engine easier... as 80% of how the truck feels is the trans....

You can make a tune save it to your laptop and in literally 20 seconds upload it... with a switch installed you can flip between 2 programs already loaded (there is more to it than that, but basically every tune, or file you make has a A and B calibration...) if you have a switch flip it and you change programs.....

NOW keep in mind if there is something mechanically wrong with the trans then this will not fix it (you may be able to tune it up and get it closer/better) ( I think with Brians sending you a new trans this is not the case) you prob just like me a bit picky about things most others are'nt

My personal opinion... if I could swing it I would have it on all of my e40d/4r100 trucks just for the data logging purposes.... but that is a whole nother' thread :)

I will try to help out as much as I can guys, work with me I am not at the shop everyday... In reality I am just part of the race team.... so if you need answers or I missed ya hit me up with a pm.... I will get back to you... Thanks

on edit Ijust hit the magic number of posts not sure I want to go more :) lol

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
The other thread about the pcs has me wondering....should I get a pcs?

I have a 2001 truck with pmt1 computer. I've had stock, local rebuilt, and now a bts trans.

I've had four different tuners in the 6 years I've owned the truck and none have come close to the consistency and smoothness of the stock trans programming. I usually drive in the city with the stock tune because the 1/2 shift slams, or locks the converter or something I don't think it should do. If I drive "spirited" from stoplight to stoplight, It will slam every gear, or shift way to early or hang in a gear.

Of all the tunes, every tuners best shifting is their tow tunes. Why is this?

I live at 5500 ft. elevation and have been told that it is harder to dial the trans in at altitude.

My trans shifts so hard sometimes, that I broke the intermediate in the bts trans with stage 1 injectors. I got a new trans and it is the exact same.

I don't want to break another one:fustrate:. TIA

I have to say I think something is not right here. Are you saying the BTS shifts fine stock and terrible with the chip? Did you get the trans at BTS or was it shipped? Altitude does have some effect at least on the OBS but it is not anything of the busting parts kind of deal.

bazdog1

Reaction score
I have to say I think something is not right here. Are you saying the BTS shifts fine stock and terrible with the chip? Did you get the trans at BTS or was it shipped? Altitude does have some effect at least on the OBS but it is not anything of the busting parts kind of deal.

Every trans I've had, with every tuner I've had has shifted like garbage in other than the stock tune. Full throttle shifts are always good, but it is partial throttle that screws everything up. If I do a full throttle run and then keep driving, it shifts HARD for the next 15 to 20 minutes (city driving of course).

Bts was shipped and installed by Rocky both times.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
If you order it. Make sure you either have a laptop with a serial port or buy PCS serial to USB adapter. I didnt know for either so I bought a serial adapter from a computer store and I believe its causing me some problems.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Dont the tuner's tune for trans also? Wouldn't that affect the tunnig on the trans that was already done? Just wanna know more about this PCS.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Homesteader. The PCS would null a void any tuning on a chip. You replace the factory harness with PCSs harness and controller. You are now the live tuner of your transmission.

Homesteader

Reaction score
Interested to see how all this turns out. So by installing the PCS I am in control of all shifting on my trans? So what if its a BTS or JW trans how would I know what would be the best shift points and pressures? Sounds a little complicated..Diesel boy hope your install goes well.

Wackerjr

Reaction score
To the OP....

Has this truck ever had a banks trans command installed? and the harness tampered with? If you don't know look under the pass side of the truck it will still be there....

bazdog1

Reaction score
To the OP....

Has this truck ever had a banks trans command installed? and the harness tampered with? If you don't know look under the pass side of the truck it will still be there....

I don't think so. I'm sure I would have seen it, or Rocky would have seen it when he changed the trans. I will make sure this afternoon.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.