Is a wastegate needed ?

DieselDog

Reaction score
Have a 2012 with a 2015 turbo installed. I've been researching on if you would need a mechanical wastegate with the 2015 retro kit installed with no luck. Since my previous turbo had a wastegate and the new one does not do I need to install one ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1800bigk

Reaction score
No it is not needed with 2015 turbo. From what I was told from a buddy the pre 2015 turbos were small and would overspeed if you didn't bleed off exhaust with a wastegate but the 2015+ turbos are bigger and don't need a wastegate.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The turbine wheel is much bigger on the 15+ so there is no need to have the gate to control excessive back pressure. The VGT and larger wheel are able to keep that under control.

1stock13

Reaction score
The turbine wheel is much bigger on the 15+ so there is no need to have the gate to control excessive back pressure. The VGT and larger wheel are able to keep that under control.

That's pretty cool. I'd love to see a break down of how the opposing fins control the excessive boost, what I still can wrap my mind around is how boost control is actually regulated? What controls the amount of boost entering the intake? Are you saying the turbo make "x" amount of boost, and it cannot be controlled?

Latest posts

Members online