Is it worth it?

CanadianStroker

Reaction score
So I took a bit of a chance on a 1997 F-250 SC SB 5-speed manual and manual T-case. I may have jumped too quickly on it, but manual Ford diesels seem to rarely come up with low mileage, let alone an OBS. But I had it looked at by a friend and it needs a lot more work than I planned on doing or that I thought it needed, especially for a truck that spent most winters in Florida and it being a one owner with basically all of the documents and history of the truck.

Truck needs front end work, still has the dana 50 TTB set up and was thinking I'd probably be further ahead if I just did the solid axle swap instead of just replacing parts?

The radiator cradle needs to be replaced.

The pass. side manifold has a hole in it, but it's soo rusty my friend suggested I get someone to get it out. Not sure what thats going to cost, but I'm sure its not cheap. I know the exhaust system has a leak in it in several places, as its just hacked together over the years from the install of the banks exhaust.

The rear brakes need to be re-done and an axle seal. Which is no big deal, but is there a way I can convert it to disc?(without swapping axles?)

Truck starts on every second time you try to start it. I tired reading it up and think its the seals for the IPS not allowing the required pressure to build so it'll start on the first try? I'm assuming that part of the rough idle I sometimes get when it first starts up.

Truck does need front fenders, cab corners and box arches fixed a bit. Which is what I thought was the worst of the work. I'm going to try to cut the rust out myself and re-weld new stuff in if I keep the old girl.

Along with the other work, I'd try to tackle it all myself. Besides the manifold..not sure I'd want to touch that. The truck did come with 4 new tires, the banks intercooler system and boost/EGT gauges.

Just my luck it seems that something needs this much work. I don't mind doing the work and learning, but it may look like the truck could be sitting for awhile, as I have a 6.0L I have to put back together.

My question is, would you keep it and fix it up? I really like the body style and would love to put a lift on it. Or sell it and I'll probably end up going back to a 6.0L. Sorry for the long post, just unsure on what to do.

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
Sounds like a 2500-5000 truck and it better be under 100k miles.

Also, it doesnt sound like it spent any winters in Florida unless it spent them in the salt water there

CanadianStroker

Reaction score
I decided to keep it. I'm going to swap over the 04 axles from my old truck that has all brand new parts on it. Scored a new old stock rad support from my buddies shop that had one kicking around. Probably going to fix the rust after the winter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.