is return fuel filtered????

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
ok guys just need a little clarification...is the return fuel from the hpfp and the return from the injectors, since they run together, once it goes through the cooler, is it filtered again? by the looks of it, it is not...i took the fuel bowl on the engine apart and it looks like it just gets recirculated without going through the filter again...i know a certain portion does return to the tank, but it appears that some of the return can and will go back to the pump.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
ok, so when the hpfp begins to go out, the contaminated fuel, whatever doesn't go to the tank, gets recirculated back to the hpfp and injectors, right?

White_monster

Reaction score
The return fuel goes back to the frame rail fuel pump. If fuel temp is low it is put back into the supply side and filtered before getting to the engine bay filter. If the temp is okay it goes right back to tank. There's no need for a return filter.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
ok that makes sense and i know all return fuel is not filtered on powerstrokes(except in 6.4's where temp. plays a role) what i'm getting at is, the when the hpfp goes if the fuel is cold, then the metal gets recirculated helping the pump and injectors destroy themselves. then the process of trying to remove all the metal from the lines, tank etc. gets costly, not to even include the parts themselves, hpfp, injectors etc. is there a way to eliminate this temperature sensor or valve and possibly, i know it sounds retarded, filter the return fuel? i'm just tryin to think of a way to eliminate some of the cost when the pump goes out?

White_monster

Reaction score
The fuel is filtered before it gets to the hpfp or injectors even when cold. The return fuel is reintroduced into the system at the frame rail pump and filtered at the engine bay filter.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
I hope that it is designed that way. just by looking at the engine fuel filter housing and removing the standpipe, it looks as though the return fuel can get to the hpfp without being filtered...this is in the standpipe itself...i'll look again and see if my eyes were deceiving me...hopefully they were.

White_monster

Reaction score
According the the book it doesn't. Either way if your hpfp is failing your injectors are getting the trash no matter what. Keep your filters clean and drain your water separator and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Members online